‘72 Mach Repaint Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
31 Model A Station Wagon “Woody”
69 Mach 1 - 351C
72 Mach 1 - 351C
96 Cobra Convertible
Today was great, I finally got my paint guns out.  I primered my fenders that have been under the microscope for a few weeks as well as the fender and quarter extensions.  I am really happy with how the fenders turned out.  There is one ding in the middle of the left fender I need to deal with, but otherwise basic block sanding and then a finish coat to prep.  My son helped me take the right door off and I went to work.  Hoping to finish it and pull off the right door.  

Late in the day I snuck the fenders into the house up into the spare bedroom.  Not sure if my wife noticed what I was doing or not.  My son ran a little interference, but obviously he wasn’t wanting to get into trouble with her.  So far she hasn’t commented on fenders inside the house.  Primer ahead!

5C7AABF3-ADF7-4BAD-8DE9-ACC460C5EA8D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, that just reminded me that the 71's fenders and doors sat in a spare bedroom for a year and a half before the car went to paint. No issues with the then girlfriend, now wife. She knew what she was getting into.  :D

My wife lived with a rear window for a ‘69 Mach stored behind our headboard for about 8 years, so this isn’t her first go round.  A pure sign of a “keeper”!  But still no comments about fenders from her so far!  I wonder if the hood would get noticed?

Doors and bottom of trunk lid are cleaned up and primed.  What a mess—the car had been repainted including the jambs, and of course, was peeling in the jambs.  I spent all day yesterday sanding the bottom of the trunk lid.  Over the last week I worked on prepping the doors. Next up, A-pillars, B-pillars, and rockers.  Might as well get the top side of the trunk lid done too.  The roof has been blocked and needs a little clean up around the window moldings, then it can be primed.  Saving the worst for last, the quarters and tail light panel.  I haven’t forgotten the hood, but it is in really excellent shape as I resprayed it a few years ago, just needs some quick cleanup and prime.

6FCE0762-304D-43E8-A045-EBF704341EB4.jpeg

B48A1B26-072F-4CA2-9EEB-A6D59DA3628D.jpeg

Well, I did do some work on the rocker panels, but jumped right into the tail light panel today.  The butchers who worked on this car previously only tack brazed and pop riveted (5 rivets total) the tail light panel in.  So, I cleaned, straightened, drilled and mig welded the tail light panel in today.  Now it is done proper.  Photo of in process work.

7E3B92F2-BAD0-475A-8A5B-5B4CE93300AE.jpeg

If I never sand another door jamb in my life, that will be fine.  I spent over 6 hours today sanding door jambs and the trunk jamb.  The sad part...there is still more to do.  I need to pull some of the interior and the rear quarter glass/roof rail molding trim to be able to finish the job.  At least the worst is behind me.  The main problem I have now is where to store parts.  I’ve snuck a few things in the house, not sure how much more of that I can get away with.  Maybe if I wrap them in Christmas paper and put them under the tree...From Santa, to Dave?

Maybe if I wrap them in Christmas paper and put them under the tree...From Santa, to Dave?
And that will be the day when someone breaks in and steals all your gifts!

Finished the prep and repairs on the rear body and epoxy primered it today.  Had to make a patch for the big rust spot—I really like working on California metal.

DE814C81-261C-4FA9-9C5E-899F5B900EC5.jpeg

3E695DD9-B71C-4499-ADA9-DE0989698E92.jpeg

Finished the prep and repairs on the rear body and epoxy primered it today.  Had to make a patch for the big rust spot—I really like working on California metal.

View attachment 47375

View attachment 47376
Wow, primered end result looks really good! You could be very happy you only have such small patches to made... Don't ask me how I know  :whistling:

Overdue update here.  Most of you saw this in my other thread where I whined about the color not being my favorite.  It’s growing on me.  Since the last update here is what is done:

• Rear quarters, roof, and rear body panel block sanded
  • Door jambs and door shells sanded and seam sealed
  • Quarters, roof, and rear body re-primered
  • Door jambs and door shells painted Wimbledon White
  • Doors reinstalled
  • Bitched and moaned about Wimbledon White
  • Fenders reinstalled to maintain hood alignment
  • Hood removed, topside sanded and primered
  • Fender and quarter extensions worked for better appearance and fit, then primered
  • Trunk lid block sanded and primered 
  • More complaining about the color
  • Wife noted the Homeowners association stopped in front of our house while hood was on saw horses in driveway—waiting for nastygram from HOA.  Most certainly was initiated by the witch next door.  She flew in on her broom as I was setting up to prime.
  • Received my new VIN/door jamb sticker from Marti (today!!!)
  • Accepted my fate—moving forward as soon as possible.  Next up—paint bottom of hood and trunk lid.  Might do this in the back yard.

8D32B2C8-E99D-4DCB-8082-19C9085B2285.jpeg

04D8AC29-0036-452F-A210-1C81E28EA1FC.jpeg

665D9CA1-8E84-4B6B-A8FB-C6AE63B2DB8B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I get what you mean about the HOA, some neighbors have their nose so far up your ass they can see daylight. I lived in a condo for a while and had an old retired broad across the street that took to bitching about my garage activities as a hobby. 

BTW, I do like the wimbledon white even though it's not white! LOL!!

The neighbor that got me in trouble with the county here did him self in about three years ago. He was pouring gas in carb to start one of his dozens of collector cars and backfire and he threw gas on himself and died in hospital.
Where I live no car not having a tag can be in the view of the public. No matter if perfect or not. I was building my garage had the permits pulled and all. He goes to the county and complains. They gave me 7 days to get them gone or they would come and get them and take to crusher. I paid for storage until I got garage done. He was that way because he tried to buy cars couple times and I would not sell.
He is one of the rich ones that had a dealers license so he could use a Transporter tag and never pay taxes on his cars because he never bought a tag for one.
Since he is not around I leave cars sitting outside and nobody complains.

The neighbor that got me in trouble with the county here did him self in about three years ago. He was pouring gas in carb to start one of his dozens of collector cars and backfire and he threw gas on himself and died in hospital.
Where I live no car not having a tag can be in the view of the public. No matter if perfect or not. I was building my garage had the permits pulled and all. He goes to the county and complains. They gave me 7 days to get them gone or they would come and get them and take to crusher. I paid for storage until I got garage done. He was that way because he tried to buy cars couple times and I would not sell.
He is one of the rich ones that had a dealers license so he could use a Transporter tag and never pay taxes on his cars because he never bought a tag for one.
Since he is not around I leave cars sitting outside and nobody complains.

So what happened to your neighbor's "collector cars" ? Did you get first crack at buying any of them? When he lit himself up like a Roman candle, did the one he was working on or any of the others catch fire?

talking of neighbours, I have to hand sand most bodywork and stuff most of the time as my neighbours constantly complain if I use any electric sanders or compressors. Ordinarily I would have just got on with it, but given most folks are prisoners of their own homes during covid, I'll cut them some slack.... doesn't do my hands any good mind...

anyway, back to your paint job, I think it looks mighty fine in that colour. Wait till it's finished...!

Back