‘72 Mach Repaint Project

5 hours ago, 69 Rustang said:

For the topside/body of the car, different story—that certainly won’t get sprayed in a driveway or my garage!

Ok, that sounds reasonable :beer: Other than that it would not be a pleasure to fight off a hoard of bees, flies and dust :salute:

Tim

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony:

Not much progress this weekend.  I did get the hood reinstalled and lined up.  Then I worked on increasing the gap on the front bumper—it is a consistent 1/8” all the way on both sides.  Then I pulled one of the fenders off and started blocking it.  I need to do the other fender then I can re-prime them.  I did manage to access some boxes stored up high around my lift and do some digging—there were some interesting Mustang treasures up there.  I wish they were easier to get to so I could properly dig and sort.

In other news, my 16 year old son earned his Brown-Black belt.  He really had to earn it—he got punched square on in the face and has a black eye from some of the testing.  My other son turned 18, so between Karate and birthday stuff, not much Mustang time.  I’ll get it next weekend!4215B8CE-4C2D-42FC-8C9F-AC9991EAFE87.thumb.jpeg.94554645b193d6484bcd297ee277053e.jpeg44584156-8508-4A21-9680-A50221D44585.thumb.jpeg.5a79a40b09423ca4d3f7708c4d5c4a59.jpeg44584156-8508-4A21-9680-A50221D44585.thumb.jpeg.5a79a40b09423ca4d3f7708c4d5c4a59.jpeg  

3AE4859D-65A6-4BD2-B7A1-D9E484E0D0F9.jpeg

Edited by 69 Rustang
  • Like 2

spacer.png
1931 Ford Model A Station Wagon
1969 Mach 1 - 351C, TKO-600, 4WDB, R&P, A/C, Shaker, Fold Down, etc.
1972 Mach 1 - 351C, FMX, PDB, PS, A/C, Fold Down, Console
1996 Mustang Cobra Convertible - 10psi Procharger, 436rwhp

Wow, Dave :classic_ohmy: 

What should I say?!? You  A R E  the gap-master! 

That looks really perfekt lined up! I wish mine would look so good when reassembled. 

Any tips for lining up fenders, hood and doors? 

Tim

I must be running low on steam, not much progress this weekend.  I blocked the drivers side fender, installed the door latches and strikers, then I started to do what I thought was a final block on the top side of the hood.  I realized I would never be happy with it the way it was, so I sanded it down to metal and set to filling the center section about 20” from the rear edge all the way to the rear edge.  Apparently someone had gone Bo Duke on the hood at one point in its past.  I realize it would have been hidden by matte black (you couldn’t see it before I started...but I could feel it), but I would know it wasn’t right.  After application of filler and a few coats of glaze, it is ready to re-prime.  I also started sanding the front bumper and now realize that is going to be a project unto itself trying to make it look perfect.  

My last issue was internet surfing.  I found this image (green door picture) and noticed the tire label is on the door.  Mine was on the quarter jamb, not the door.    What is correct?  Check out the part number on my tire sticker—it doesn’t exist per the vendors catalogs of what’s available to purchase.

A86BE554-D660-41BA-9D0C-9517431A197F.jpeg

4899BF4B-C1F2-4342-9438-B07C615B91A9.jpeg

B02F019F-BBF8-46B4-AFC3-B22333E7451D.jpeg

Edited by 69 Rustang
Added photo; fixed typo

spacer.png

May somebody else chime in but I think the location changed from '71 to '72, so the position on your car would be correct! 

Tim

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Good news, bad news update.  The good news is I am in the process of sanding with 500 grit and only a few panels to go.  The bad news, my air compressor pump seized up today.  I was able to finish spraying primer on the bumper, but only the small amount of primer I had mixed in the gun and not the full build I was after.  I have less than a month until ‘booth day’ and I am losing one week to go see my parents and one week for business travel in that time.  This gives me two full weekends—It is going to be close by the time I get the compressor sorted.  I did order a new pump today, I really wanted to upgrade the pump but that would mean some modifications to make it all work and I don’t have time for that.  

The front bumper also turned into a bigger project than expected.  After first painting it with black DP primer, I sanded it and then hit it with white primer and YIKES—it looked like heck.  Cracks appeared all over the place.  So I used my die grinder and V’d out every crack and then filled them with a urethane bumper filler.  I know there are probably more cracks buried under some of the primer, but they are covered and I am hoping for the best at this point.  Today’s primer was the first after filling all the cracks—it looks fantastic right now, but I am still worried.  I cut it with 320 grit hoping to get my compressor working and apply more white epoxy.  Anybody with experience with these to coach me?

And to end on a positive note, the repairs to the hood turned out great!  The hood is ready to go.

Edited by 69 Rustang
  • Like 1

spacer.png

And where are the pics?!?!? :classic_blink: 

Sorry :biggrin::whistling: 

I made the same experience with my bumper (no, not THIS bumper, Midlife... :biggrin:)

I v-ed them too and filled with epoxy, sanded, filled again and sanded. There I gave it to my paint guy who then painted it with some filler and an other mix than usual, some flexible agent. What he exactly did I do not know but it looks fantastic and it doesn't crack although by handling this heavy piece it flexes :thumb: But it was hard work to get there and I was not aware If it ever would be close to satisfying me... 

Hope you will fullfill your time managment though!!!

• Like 1

Tim

• 4 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, 69 Rustang said:

Big news on my project—it’s shiny!  Monday was paint day.  I got up at 5:30am and called AAA because I had “car trouble”.  The tow truck showed up and hauled the car to work for me.  I got there early and moved everything into place and started my final prep work.  Then I got the best gift I could ever ask for in this project.  My co-worker Frank who runs the training center was going to help me!  Frank is a fantastic painter and super highly skilled, so this was a major bonus.  Frank did the tricky bits of masking, questioned a few setup issues and led me to better decisions, and made some prep suggestions that I followed closely.  

With his help I was spraying the first coat of basecoat before noon!  When it was time to clear, Frank volunteered (at least that is how I remember it...LOL) and he went to work.  Two coats later, it all looks awesome...and then it didn’t.  We had used some of the hardener that I had opened up for painting door jambs and the trunk however long ago, and it wasn’t a good idea.  There was some sort of reaction that looked a bit like chunky clear and solvent pop.  Doh!

Fortunately I blocked 2 days of my calendar and the training center for this, so in early again on Tuesday and I went to work.  The training center has the coolest sanding machine called a Festool.  It is a self contained electric Dual Action sander/vacuum system.  I sanded the whole car in hours and created no dust anywhere.  Frank showed up a bit later and did a lot of the hand sanding where I couldn’t with the DA and we were back in the booth by noon.  

There were a few touch ups where I cut through on edges but that didn’t take much time.  Frank switched up the materials to use a different clear and laid down 2 of the slickest coats ever.  He did get a run in the fender, but so what. Had I sprayed the clear, we would be measuring the number of runs per panel.  So lucky for Frank’s help!  I owe that guy!  We were done early enough that he was able to spend some time showing me how to do woodgraining (picture attached).  

He convinced me to leave it overnight to air dry, then we baked it first thing this morning.  After cool down I carefully stuck the fenders on and called AAA.  Frank snuck in and sanded out the run, but I get to figure out buffing it.  I said about 100 thank you’d to Frank and headed home.  Now, time to put it together.

5D37D2A0-616A-4F4B-835E-485ADE4997AD.jpeg

D8FE3394-0D7A-4995-B05C-9223A2F09B66.jpeg

F11CFB82-10A9-4499-B4A0-E91C4A28E4A4.jpeg

AE0681CB-F6EF-4890-B92B-4D3626B87E5E.jpeg

70E91FEB-0919-45E1-BCB2-98CCABBBAB3C.jpeg

04D8A2D8-4E70-427A-9380-D1670B4FE351.jpeg

6890B6B8-3CDD-44AE-9D7E-69B98C261BBC.jpeg

1008A2F5-3B3C-46D4-B4F4-740CACD3ED18.jpeg

BE947D3B-FD54-4A47-AFB8-CC5A21A8168E.jpeg

E2827538-5DFA-42BA-BE98-DDBDA834D3BC.jpeg

4E4AB8AB-36DB-4C7E-B3C0-72DB6C73FF84.jpeg

128FB0AB-431D-476F-A156-C20AD62200C5.jpeg

574E6B59-66A6-425C-9E1D-8D35B60D70C9.jpeg

03765A77-D7DC-4E94-8663-CFF896AF0AF1.jpeg

Looking really good.  Always nice to have friends to give you a hand when needed. Keep up the good work.  You will  be sitting behind the wheel before you know it.  And hey Frank, thank you for helping a fellow stang lover.

Edited by Kilgon
  • Like 1

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

Wow, 

you lucky guy! That all looks very familiar to me... Congratulations of making a big step forward! Thank you for the updates! 

It looks very good! All other stuff is fine-tuning, the top finish could be achieved easily now. A big thanks to Frank! 

Painting the car is always the most feared action on a restoration and you managed it now! 

Time to put a cold snack up and simply enjoy its beauty! 

• Like 1

Tim

WOW, that looks great! It is truly a blessing to have access to such an amazing facility and expertise.

Again, THANKS FRANK!! 

• Like 1

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Wow!!! IS RIGHT!!   Looks great.  Also that spray booth looks awesome...... I would love to be able to spray in that!! 

• Like 1

Kevin
1971 Mach 1

408C Stroker - C4 w/3,000 stall - 8.8" Rear w/3.73's - Disc brakes all way around.

What a lucky guy to have a paint booth like that to play in. Glad your friend Frank knew what to do to fix the issue. Go easy on the sanding and stay away from the edges and corners. Will be a head turner for sure.

• Like 1

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

That color white is spectacular man. 

• Like 1

Lazarus

9-C51-EEB4-A25-A-4-F27-8-D01-0-EB879931296.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Stupid car—it seems like it is fighting me every step of the way on reassembly.  Everything I touch takes 4 times longer than it should.  Install bolt—20 minutes....  Install molding, WEEKS...  Grrrrr.

I do have a question.  I ordered a windshield washer bottle as mine was broken.  I went to install the pump and something in my brain said—check for a leak.  Guess what—it leaked through the pump area...of course it does....   the washer bottle is a reproduction as the OE ones are no longer available.  But the pump and its seal are 50 years old.  Is it the pump or the bottle?  I looked in the hole and there was a burr where the fluid exits to go into the hose.  I popped the burr off and it still leaks.  Without throwing out my initial ideas to fix, what would you do?

spacer.png

Just went through the whole thread Awesome work with excellent attention to the panel lines and gaps-Nothing like a really nice clean baking booth to spray in ! Paint work looks FANTASTIC !! Congrats !! 

• Like 1

LOVE OF BEAUTY IS TASTE..THE CREATION OF BEAUTY IS ART