‘72 Mach Repaint Project

That looks great! 

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

• 1 month later...

Looking real good indeed. I agree the PPG will dull down a bit as it cures completely. I had the same concern when I started painting mine, I was sure it was the wrong color. Keep up the great work. Chuck

Outstanding!! That hood blackout looks awesome! Great job!

Just remember John Wick didn’t kill all those people for a random car. It was a Mustang

Looking good!!

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

I always hated putting any stripes on. I would have had the garage door shut to prevent any breeze from blowing them around after I pulled the backing off and I always used soapy water. Sucks you got one backwards.
On the lower part you are talking about the tape the goes between body color and lower black? What was missing?
The hood layout looks way better than most for sure. You would think someone would make the right texture paint for them. I saw a 69 or 70 at Carlisle that had the correct texture and no shine but he could not remember what paint they used at the body shop, so there is something out there.
I think you will enjoy a white car especially on hot days. A dark colored car is never clean for sure.
Great that you are moving along. Interior goes pretty fast.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

David, there were two pieces of lower stripe in the box, both the same length.  This picture shows how far one stripe went.  As you can see, it wasn’t even long enough to do the area from the front wheel well to the rear.  I used both stripes in the box to get one side done, and then used a bit for just the rear of the quarter on the other side.  I figured if there is some dimensional variation in the next set I get it won’t show from the front of the quarter panel to the rear.  Fingers crossed anyway.  

For the textured black, I’m not sure who makes it.  I like the smooth look anyway so I wouldn’t have used it.  I’m not worried about a concours event.  I did start with your dimensions when laying out the hood, but rather than different measures on one side versus the other and the original, I couldn’t help myself but make the measurements side to side symmetrical.  That said—what a great document you prepared, I would have been guessing without it.  Thank you!

One knowledge gap is how the lower stripe “finishes” at the back of the rear quarter panel.  Does it wrap around a little…get cut off straight?  I made my own decision and went with it.  But if you have details that could be your next article/white paper.

714CBB28-250C-42DF-9B3F-988FF4BDF8BE.jpeg

spacer.png
1931 Ford Model A Station Wagon
1969 Mach 1 - 351C, TKO-600, 4WDB, R&P, A/C, Shaker, Fold Down, etc.
1972 Mach 1 - 351C, FMX, PDB, PS, A/C, Fold Down, Console
1996 Mustang Cobra Convertible - 10psi Procharger, 436rwhp

I do have the 72, Q, Mach 1, T-5 with side stripes that are original. I do not have any great pictures of it. For sure you should center the hood black they were just throwing them on at the factory.
This car got crashed in the early 70's with 32,000 miles on it. Has never been worth the efforts to fix it so many in better shape. The stripes just go away after years in the weather.

20201209_170402.jpg

20201209_170430.jpg

DSC_1270.JPG

DSC_1271.JPG

DSC_1272.JPG

DSC_1275.JPG

DSC_1276.JPG

DSC_1277.JPG

DSC_1278.JPG

• Like 1

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

• 5 weeks later...

My #1 learning about this Mustang occurred yesterday.  When the gas gauge needle aligns with the line for “E”, it seriously means it is empty.  Fortunately my wife was just a half mile away and could go home (1 mile the other way) and bring me the gas can.  Doh!  Lesson learned, next stop, the gas station!

On the plus side, the rear end has been rebuilt—the center diff issues were covered in another thread, but it was a mess.  Now the rear brakes are all new, new soft brake hose to the axle, fixed the axle vent hose, new axle seals, and one of the rear axle bearings was replaced.  It is quieter than ever, especially when the engine dies from lack of fuel and you are coasting….

While waiting for the differential rebuild, I had time to start on the interior.  The console has been disassembled, thoroughly cleaned and reassembled, the fold down seat mechanism has been cleaned and mostly reassembled (but out of the car).  The dash has been cleaned up again.  The trim has been transferred to the new door panels—when you buy the new ones and pay extra for the “improved” version, please realize they are still not a great part.  At this point I am waiting on just a few things.  The biggest delay is the headliner.  I have a friend who has an upholstery shop and he is going to help fix my headliner—but between his schedule and mine we just can’t get together until October.  There are still a few things I can work on though.

7C8F6F1D-413E-45B9-90B8-38997F3C6284.jpeg

DEB61F9E-BB3D-42ED-AD5A-917B8056190D.jpeg

B0DBE370-D1C7-439A-B54F-7A25C18A6272.jpeg

ED939594-B051-491F-AB18-2BA9AC279C0B.jpeg

• Like 1

spacer.png
1931 Ford Model A Station Wagon
1969 Mach 1 - 351C, TKO-600, 4WDB, R&P, A/C, Shaker, Fold Down, etc.
1972 Mach 1 - 351C, FMX, PDB, PS, A/C, Fold Down, Console
1996 Mustang Cobra Convertible - 10psi Procharger, 436rwhp