351c 4spd hurst shifter - Need to find rebuilder for hurst shifter or good used replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Animal Lawyer

Reaction score
So, every once in awhile, if I ease the shifter out of reverse (rather than authoritatively banging it out) the shifter locks in neutral and wont let me go into any gear. I need to get under the car and rattle the linkage until it frees up. We put it up on the lift sat and it is apparently something internal to the shifter (maybe a shim displaced or dropped out?). I need to find someone to rebuild mine or find a good used shifter (which is preferable because the car will not be laid up for any length of time). Open to any suggestions 

Better yet, contact Scotty at www.hurstshiftersonline.com and have it done by a professional.

He did mine a couple of years back and as I had to send it in as a repair and return, it came back like brand new. 

https://www.hurstshiftersonline.com/HurstRebuildForm.pdf

Phone # 803-818-1657, email; [email protected]

Address; Hurst Performance-Shifters rebuild service, 1665 Katy Ln, Fort Mill, SC 29708

Last edited by a moderator:
Better yet, contact Scotty at www.hurstshiftersonline.com and have it done by a professional.
I talked to scotty, he believes it is not the shifter but the rubber grommets for the shifter studs. He told me they are a ford oem part (not hurst).

Does anyone know if they are available (either nos or reprop) and if not what other options are there? Also, does anyone have the part numbers for the grommets?

No it is the rubber grommets that secure these studs
Ok, from the photo I mistook what it was. Yes that is the part. For the few extra dollars I think I may buy the upgraded ones from NPD. Any idea how difficult they are to install (are there directions anywhere?

Ok, from the photo I mistook what it was. Yes that is the part. For the few extra dollars I think I may buy the upgraded ones from NPD. Any idea how difficult they are to install (are there directions anywhere?
 Those are what I bought. They just snap in. If I remember, I was sent a set with the rebuild as well.

Those are what I bought. They just snap in. If I remember, I was sent a set with the rebuild as well.
I remember he had the rebuild kit for the Mustang with the grommets, but it's gone. I don't see the grommet & trunnions on his site anymore either, but a little Google-ing leads me back to his site - but the listing is MIA. 

I remember he had the rebuild kit for the Mustang with the grommets, but it's gone. I don't see the grommet & trunnions on his site anymore either, but a little Google-ing leads me back to his site - but the listing is MIA. 
Really? I'll look into it also then.  Without going into my cold garage and dig through my parts box, I'm pretty sure the set Scotty sent me are the rubber like ones and black, whereas the NPD ones I got were more like brown in color and a harder material. I installed the NPD set.

Back