Will MSD 8350 pro-billet rtr distributor fit with ram air air-cleaner?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Animal Lawyer

Reaction score
So I finally got my carb tuned sat. I had to increase to 311 nozzles to get rid of the flat spot immediately after idle. The tuner suggested that the duraspark distributor should be changed to an MSD 8350 because the rebuilt will continue to advance ad infinitum and the MSD we could choose the exact advance curve we wanted. While I am not thrilled about dropping another 500 to buy the msd, if it will solve the issue and increase performance... BUT I am in the midst of adding ram air (hood installed waiting to install plenum and air cleaner). Will the 8350 pro billet fit the pertronis billet rtr was too tall)

MSD 8350 is 8 15/16 tall from engine block pad to top of plug wire connection, no way it would fit my ram air. I ended up going with pertronix stock look distributor (summit part # PNX-D134620). MSD makes a crab cap distributor #85804 that would fit but it’s not a ready to run, need to get ignition box to run it.

The DuraSpark does not advance forever. It is set by the slot length in the mechanical advance mechanism. While more difficult to do, the DuraSpark curve can be customized for an engine. By chance does your tuner sell MSD? I would find a tuner that understands older distributors.

By chance does your tuner sell MSD?
No they don't they are a Mustang specialty shop but they usually cater to fox body and newer. Their tuner is good but apparently doesn't know about adjusting the curve on the  duraspark distributor (though he is very good with getting the carb right. If you know anyone on Long Island who is good with adjusting the curve for duraspark distributors (or can recommend a good "How To" site) I would appreciate it. 

Back