Disassemble the Driver’s Sport Mirror for Paint?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
31 Model A Station Wagon “Woody”
69 Mach 1 - 351C
72 Mach 1 - 351C
96 Cobra Convertible
I am working on the doors and mirrors this week for my ‘72.  The Passengers Side is easy, everything comes right apart and gets sanded.  The Drivers Side...another story.  The mirror is off, but I want to paint all the bits nicely—is there any to take the cable apart and actually put it back together again?  I did it on my ‘69, it was a bitcXXX. But it was possible.  The design of the cables is different on the 71-72, and after a cursory inspection I thought I should ask the experienced crew.  Any body ever do this successfully that can coach me?

Question revision:  is the knob something that unscrews or does it need to be drilled out, threaded, and then replaced?   Mine broke, it doesn’t seem to unscrew as I can see.  I considered drilling and JB Welding. But, ????  Is there some missing information here on the replacement item?  Is it not just a bolt in or does it require drill and tap?

58DCBB12-4320-4265-BF2F-9C4258EAD2A7.jpeg

DA9EBC49-AFAF-4213-BB3C-318EFDD06944.png

I've learned from @secluff that Ford had a special tool for this, helping to guide while drilling. It came with the original Ford knob replacement.

Where to find that baby now days will certainly be tough, so you might need to fab one so you drill straight into that old knob material.
I need do same on my 71 at some point, so please @69 Rustang document the process so I can do mine the easy way! :D

Use a convertible top switch knob. I believe this video was from a member on here.  I’d contact Don at OMS for the switch.

I have heard about using the convertible top switch, definitely would look more correct. Just wondering about the mirror knob.

Thanks for the reply and the link to the video.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Back