new 71 mach 1 owner question about 302 engine

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfdfire40

Reaction score
hello I just purchased a 1971 mach 1 with the factory 302 and c4 transmission. I have the marti report and it shows it was ordered with the 302 and c4. now I've been ordering a few things for it although it's already had a rotisserie restoration and I've had several vendors tell me that no mach 1's came with a 302 and I have all the paperwork that says it did. 

The base engine for the 71 thru 73 Mach 1 was the 302-2V engine. Whichever vendors you are speaking to are mistaken, probably confusing the 71-3 cars with the 69-70 which had the 351-2V as the base engine. 

FWIW, my 71 Mach is also a 302 C4 car. 

Curious thing about the wiki - were there really the exact same number of convertibles produced in 1971 and 1972?
According to Marti's Mustang by the Numbers, the number of 1971 convertibles was 6121 and in 1972 6401.  11,853 in 1973.

hello I just purchased a 1971 mach 1 with the factory 302 and c4 transmission. I have the marti report and it shows it was ordered with the 302 and c4. now I've been ordering a few things for it although it's already had a rotisserie restoration and I've had several vendors tell me that no mach 1's came with a 302 and I have all the paperwork that says it did. 
My 71 Mach 1 was originally a 302/c4 car. Since I'm more inclined to want a "Day 2 , modified period correct" car vs a "factory correct" car, it now has a 351c/FMX powertrain. But if I ever got the proverbial wild hair up my behind, I would consider going  back to the 302/C4 configuration - So, I'd like to know which vendors. I might want to avoid them - if they get this wrong, what else do they have wrong?

thank you. this is the first 71 mustang I've owned. I had a 70 and a 68. I was also unaware that the 302 was the base for the 71 mach 1 till I bought this car. i just happen to speak to 2 different people at cj pony parts that said my car is not a mach 1 cause they didn't come with a 302. I didn't want to argue with them so I just got parts somewhere else. but they weren't the first ones had a salesperson at summit racing say the same thing. 

Again, most people don't know their a$$ from a hole in the ground when it comes to the 71-73 cars. Most think that all sportsroofs are Mach 1s, or that they can't be a Mach 1 since it doesn't have stripes and a tutone hood, or because it doesn't have the gauge package etc. Pic some random BS story and I've heard or read it. 

Now that you have stated where the info cam from, CJ they are a joke on info. Some of their how to videos should be banned. The Ford Facts Books are on here for every year. Amazing how distorted things get. The Mach 1 package was not a performance package but an appearance package. You had to add lots of options to get the performance that could be had on any model. Very few thing unique to Mach 1 and none added performance.

Now that you have stated where the info cam from, CJ they are a joke on info. Some of their how to videos should be banned. The Ford Facts Books are on here for every year. Amazing how distorted things get. The Mach 1 package was not a performance package but an appearance package. You had to add lots of options to get the performance that could be had on any model. Very few thing unique to Mach 1 and none added performance.
No one mentioned a cam in this thread...

I was told by several vendors that the only Windsor is the 351W and that the 302W isn't a Windsor...yet the 302 IS a Windsor! 
The only reason for the Windsor designation is that Ford was producing the 351 in multiple flavors concurrently. There's really no need to add the W to a 302. 

Imagine being a Ford parts guy in 1971 when they were producing five very different 351 cubic inch engines. 

351W-2V

351C-2V

351C-4V

351C Boss

351C CJ

and the 400 started production in the 71 model year as well....

I dated a lady here that her dad was the general manager at the Windsor engine plant back in the 60's She swore that Ford built him a Boss 302 convertible but she passed away before she could find a picture.
The GM guys give me a hard time because Ford made so many different variations of engines. They just did not say one size fits all and put a GM 350 and turbo 350 in everything, lol. Most of them do not believe me when I tell them you can bolt a transmission and bell housing off of a 250 six to a 302-W Boss 302, 351-C or a 5.0 up to 1995. I think the 240 and 300 six also had same bell housing but not 100% sure.

Back