Ignition Door Alarm Buzzer only sounds with Driver Door Open, not Key in the Ignition ? It worked for 15 years prior...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1971stang

Reaction score
I recently removed the Steering Column to replace the Plastic End Bushing and Shift Linkage Bushing and was going to do the rag joint or steering coupler also, but my factory Ford one was still in great shape and worked better than the new part, so I simply reused it and then connected back to gear box more easily and also installed a new Scott Drake Turn Signal Switch, but still have the original Ford Turn Signal Switch and Wiring Harness in very good shape.

Anyway also replaced glass fuses and everything works fine except the Buzzer, which only Buzzes when the Driver Door is Open, but not when the Keys are in the Ignition in Accessory, On or Off, the Buzzer keeps on Buzzing until the Driver Door is Shut and any Ignition position seems to be irrelevant regarding.

Also found out that the there are (2) Ground Wires ontop of the Glove Box metal sheet, one is part of the Buzzer Relay Switch and Wire Connection Harness along with the Hot Wire, the other Ground is connected to a different bolt on the glove box, which confuses me. 

*To cut to the short, the Buzzer only Works at all when both Grounds are connected to the Buzzer Relay Switch or End Terminal.  Is that Odd ?  

So my choices seem to be Keep the Buzzer Functional only with Driver Door being ajar with both Grounds hooked up

or

DisConnect the one separate Glove Box ground and let stay Silent for ever more. 

or

I can try and figure out why it worked for 15 years and all the Sudden Stopped when working on the Steering Column and Fuse Box. 

The only other thing I did was install additional Chrome Mounting Screws into my Custom Kick Panel Enclosures for Speaker Pods, but I don't think I drilled into any existing wires or any thing like that...was very careful and everything seems to be in tact.

Ideas anybody regarding what makes the Alarm Buzzer only work with the Driver Door and not be in Synch with the Ignition Turn Switch, is there possibly a small ball joint or bearing on the outskirts of the ignition switch that I missed that needs to be popped out and connect to something perhaps ?  

Oh I forgot I tried another NOS Ford Alarm Relay and that was dead in the water upon initial installation, so waste of money there, even cleaned its terminals...:-(  Only the original Relay seems to Buzz and again only with (2) Grounds hooked up and the Driver Door Open, I got frustrated today, so will look again tomorrow, Thanks !

If you have the convenience group which includes a lights on warning buzzer, it uses the same buzzer as the key reminder system.  It is supposed to buzz with the parking or headlights on and the driver door open.  Perhaps that is a place to look.  The metal relay panel above the glove box is grounded when mounted in position to the metal dash.  If it is dangling and not connected to the metal dash, one of the ground wires may be an alternate or redundant ground and if not connected, the panel, is not grounded and the buzzer won't buzz.  

I'm not clear about your problem. Do you mean the buzzer sounds off when the door is open and the keys are not in the ignition lock? But when the door is open and you put the key in the lock the buzzer stops? There's a small contact in the lock that makes connection to ground when the key is in the lock. It's possible the black with pink hash wire isn't making good connection in the connector on the steering column, or the column isn't grounded.

Back