Big block header question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunderguns71

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Fastback small block, now 429.
Does anyone know if the Hedman Husler headers give any better ground clearance over Hooker Comps?  I'm currently running FPAs, which give great ground clearance, but want to go with something with larger primaries for my 521. 

Thanks!   

Does anyone know if the Hedman Husler headers give any better ground clearance over Hooker Comps?  I'm currently running FPAs, which give great ground clearance, but want to go with something with larger primaries for my 521. 

Thanks!   
According to Scott Johnston the FPA's give up nothing to the larger tube headers up to about 650 hp and make more torque under the curve. Are you planning on making more than that?

According to Scott Johnston the FPA's give up nothing to the larger tube headers up to about 650 hp and make more torque under the curve. Are you planning on making more than that?
Thanks for the response.  I've talked to Scott a few times, I get my cams through him. He told me the same, but we talked about getting more from my combo and he said the FPA's were holding me back at this point.  I'm roughly around the 650hp mark, which don't get me wrong is plenty lol, but I was originally aiming for 700ish.  I could probably get there with a more radical cam, but I'm running the FiTech EFI and it needs a certain amount of vacuum at idle to function properly.   I'm already a little under 5" at idle so I'm at the ragged edge of what it needs to run properly.  I often wonder if I could have someone build me a new set, copying the FPAs, but with larger primaries.  I'm sure it would be a $1000+ going that way though.  I've heard several Torino guys talk about how great the Hedmans fit, but I never asked about the ground clearance.  It's also been a long time since I had a 71 Torino so I don't remember if the suspension sits higher, lower, or the same as a Mustang.  

Back