Front suspension hang while on jack stands

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 dark green
it it ok to leave the front suspension in suspension (pun) by having the front of the car supported on jack stands for a few weeks?  Can it effect the suspension at all?  Should the wheels be removed to take off some weight? Jack stands are under the front crossmember (where the struts mount to)?

“They” say not to do it.  The coil spring force will push the suspension to its bottom limit.  

I believe the problem is the odd angles on the strut rod bushings, sway bar links, etc.  I believe you can relive the problem by placing a piece of 2x4 under the upper a-arm and on top of the frame rail..  Or, set the tires on ramps or something for storage.

kcmash

Never mind.  I was not happy with the suspension hanging so I put it on the wood stands.  The reason it was not on the wood stands to begin with is that while I had no problem getting the rear end on the wood the front was harder.  I jacked it up as far as I could, even using wood under the jack stands to inch it higher and higher but could never get the same wood on the front as the back.  So I lowered the wood blocks and set front down on those.

car on wood.jpg

That would be another benefit of using the tool, or 2x4s, to keep the front suspension from drooping so much, and able to get more wood under the front tires.

Every Ford manual tells you to block the upper control arms. If you do not it destroys the upper shock rubber bushings crushes them to nothing with the full coil spring pressure. I just use a 2X4 block of wood on the frame rail under the upper control arm. Motors manuals have the print for making the steel ones also.
When the lower arm drops all the way down it can split the rubber bushing in the front cross member with the radius rod in it. I have a 2 post lift and forget to take the blocks out often and they go bouncing down the road, lol.

Back