Steering "Jiggle"

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knn

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 (302)
With the engine off, one wheel on the ground, I get about 1 inch of jiggle with my hands at 9 and 3 on the off-the-ground wheel.  I'm sure that's contributing to my car's waywardness.  When I get under the car, I can see that the slop is coming from where the drag link connects to the Pitman arm.  The castle nut is totally tight (with a cotter pin).

Any ideas on which one needs replacing?

Thanks,

Nick

Probably the pitman arm ball/socket is worn out. Make sure the sector shaft isn't moving, if it is your steering box may need rebuilding. You'll need to make sure where the movement is, unless you like buying and replacing parts until you find the right one.

Probably the pitman arm ball/socket is worn out. Make sure the sector shaft isn't moving, if it is your steering box may need rebuilding. You'll need to make sure where the movement is, unless you like buying and replacing parts until you find the right one.
Thanks @Don C!  I definitely don't like buying parts I don't need (it takes away from the budget for parts I do need)  :classic_laugh:

The sector shaft isn't moving.  The movement is definitely between the Pitman arm and the drag link.  I'll take another look, but it sure sounds like Pitman arm needs replacing.

Thanks again,

Nick

Back