My old 1972 R code

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q code
2007 GT
1969 Cougar Eliminator B302
CSX 7000 Shelby Cobra FIA
2020 Edge ST
2002 F250 V10
I was looking through some old folders and found a picture of the R code. If you look closely you may be able to see that I was running drag slicks on it for street "enthusiastic" use. The car ran 12.70 @ 110 MPH. Another car that I wish I had back. Chuck

View attachment car pictures-31.tif

Neat photo. I noticed the radio antenna height as well. Now and again, someone will ask me what kind of a sound system I have in my Mach. I tell them just the factory AM/FM, however, I can get Japan. You know what I'm talking about if any of you still have the 4' tall extending factory antenna!  If I were to put my antenna all the way up, it whips around, so I never extend it fully.

Nice.  Wish I had my old 72 R code back.  Just should have saved my pennies better.  Now I have more invested in 2 non running fixer uppers than I could have bought my old car back!

Do you know where your old R Code is today? or what kind of shape it's in? 

I restored a Grabber Blue, 1972 R Code some years ago (pictured) and thought it was the fastest car I'd ever driven---until I finished a J Code, 429 SCJ with the Drag Pack, Detroit Locker 4.11 gear. Didn't take long to change my mind. 

Mach 1 1972 Grabber Blue, R Code, 351 HO.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Neat photo. I noticed the radio antenna height as well. Now and again, someone will ask me what kind of a sound system I have in my Mach. I tell them just the factory AM/FM, however, I can get Japan. You know what I'm talking about if any of you still have the 4' tall extending factory antenna!  If I were to put my antenna all the way up, it whips around, so I never extend it fully.
Pretty sure the antenna in that photo is not the 71 model year only extendable version. I have it on my 71 J Code Vert, although it is difficult to raise and lower today due to a slight bend at some point in its life. 

Nice looking car Chuck!

I wish I still had my first car (a 71 M-code 4-speed Sportsroof) but unfortunately my 17 year old self was a moron and destroyed it.

IMO, its less sad to know that you passed it on to someone else for them to enjoy vs. knowing that you destroyed one...

I have no idea what happened to the car. I sold it in Cincinnati, Ohio and I moved to Illinois for a new job. It was not stock. Heads milled, cam change, intake and carb changed, headers and a 4.57:1 gear. So, nearly stock don't you think? Chuck

It was quick for the level of effort and the time frame. Smoked more than one BBC. Chuck

All of mine are in the “wish I woulda bought category”. My car now is the only one I ever pulled the trigger on, and it is nothing big from the factory.

I grew up not so well off, so money didn’t always flow my way.  But I have a great family, plenty of worlds greatest coach plaques and worlds best dad plaques, but just one cool Mustang.

kcmash

Pretty sure the antenna in that photo is not the 71 model year only extendable version. I have it on my 71 J Code Vert, although it is difficult to raise and lower today due to a slight bend at some point in its life. 
Now there's something else I've never known,.....that the extendable antenna is '71 only.  Geeez, I've been owning/driving it for 30 years now and JUST get schooled on my radio antenna! Thanks for the info...kinda cool that it's a "one year" thing.

A lot of confusion over the proper antenna stems from the fact that no radio was standard in our Mustangs. Even when a radio was ordered from Ford, the radio and the antenna was not installed at the Assembly plant. A radio kit was placed in the trunk along with wheel covers, floor mats, and other loose items to be installed at the dealer when the vehicle was PDI'd. (Pre Delivery Inspection)
 Many dealers ordered cars without radios so more profit-producing aftermarket units could be installed. Dealers would then pull an in-stock antenna off the parts shelf (Usually an LTD unit since they were considered a one size fits all) and hopefully drilled the antenna hole in the correct location. Unless the dealer had saved the template from the factory radio kit that didn't always happen.

MCA rules allow for the telescoping antenna for 71's, telescoping AND fixed mast for the 72's, and fixed for the 73's.
During 1972 production, the '73 style fixed mast antenna was phased into production. With no practical way of telling exactly when this change took place during 1972, MCA wisely chooses to allow both versions for 72. I'm sure the assembly plant was receiving and installing both versions with no thought of the confusion we would be trying to sort out nearly 50 years later.
 I hated the telescoping version on my 71's. Over time water would work its way into the mast and cause poor reception. Some stations I couldn't pick up even if I was in their parking lot! They also seemed to be a favorite target of parking lot vandals.
If not concerned about concourse correct there is a detachable mast antenna (Like on the Fox Mustangs) that Don @ Ohio Mustang sells. Perfect for those who cover their cars and don't want to cut an antenna hole or don't want one with the antenna pocket.   :classic_smile:

A lot of confusion over the proper antenna stems from the fact that no radio was standard in our Mustangs. Even when a radio was ordered from Ford, the radio and the antenna was not installed at the Assembly plant. A radio kit was placed in the trunk along with wheel covers, floor mats, and other loose items to be installed at the dealer when the vehicle was PDI'd. (Pre Delivery Inspection)
 Many dealers ordered cars without radios so more profit-producing aftermarket units could be installed. Dealers would then pull an in-stock antenna off the parts shelf (Usually an LTD unit since they were considered a one size fits all) and hopefully drilled the antenna hole in the correct location. Unless the dealer had saved the template from the factory radio kit that didn't always happen.

MCA rules allow for the telescoping antenna for 71's, telescoping AND fixed mast for the 72's, and fixed for the 73's.
During 1972 production, the '73 style fixed mast antenna was phased into production. With no practical way of telling exactly when this change took place during 1972, MCA wisely chooses to allow both versions for 72. I'm sure the assembly plant was receiving and installing both versions with no thought of the confusion we would be trying to sort out nearly 50 years later.
 I hated the telescoping version on my 71's. Over time water would work its way into the mast and cause poor reception. Some stations I couldn't pick up even if I was in their parking lot! They also seemed to be a favorite target of parking lot vandals.
If not concerned about concourse correct there is a detachable mast antenna (Like on the Fox Mustangs) that Don @ Ohio Mustang sells. Perfect for those who cover their cars and don't want to cut an antenna hole or don't want one with the antenna pocket.   :classic_smile:
Thank you for these informations I didn't know before - one more lesson learned  :thumb:

That would also explain why my car originally was ordered without a radio package (no remark in the Marti report), exported to Germany (it's one of 22 T5's in '73 as Mach 1, 351C 4V and 4-speed) and there got an antenna in the usual location, but with a round foot insteat of the square antenna foot, otherwise this antenna looks the same as the usual '73ies. Additionally they cut the usual holes in the quarter panels, in the front near the front seats. As this car is a T5, I think they delivered them without any radio kits because in Germany they had their own radios, frequencies etc. Perhaps it was like this in the good old times...

Today I adapted a AM/FM radio from 1973 with 8-track and got a new '73 fixed mast antenna from Don with square foot for a new fender with already pre-drilled holes. The old one wasn't that reliable... 

Interested to see some '72's with the factory installed telescoping antenna... Like all factory part supply usage issues, it is definitely possible that some made it into the early '72 production model year... MCA rules mean little, they have never understood the 71-3 year Mustangs from the get go IMO...

Back