Polish aluminum trim?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machattack

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang mach 1 351c 4v auto fmx
1968 mustang gt 302 4v 4 speed
Hi,

I had a question on buffing out aluminum trim pieces. 

I have the buffer and the compounds. The colors i have are...... Black/grey, Red Jewelers rouge, Brown tripli, Green rogue.  The 71 mach trim must have a coating on it like laquer or? The compounds wont buff it off. I painted some epoxy paint remover on it, not sure it removed it either? I dont think it did? 

I have lots of experience buffing and hot tank bluing guns.  I never have polished aluminum.

Thanks for your help!   

They are anodized and have to be stripped. David (Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs) uses oven cleaner and has posted his procedure a few times on how he does it.

Did mine 2 months ago. Mine were full of scratches and tiny dents.  So sanded them by hand grid 80 dry to remove the plasticot layer, used 100-200 dry to get rid of the dents and deep scratches.  Then water send them 600. At this point you get a mat even finish. Then polish wheel them rough (blue compound) and pink fine after that. Result is as chrome looking brand new.

It’s not a walk in the park and it takes ages. So spend some time everyday for each steps. All 80, all 200 etc..

I think I’ve posted a few picts of the process and looks during, on my 71 build thread, last page or just before if you want to see.

Also found out that the windshield 71 are not the same as on my 73. 3 pieces for 71, 2 for the 73.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back