351C blocks for sale

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbrew2

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang convertible
Fellow down here has 3 351C blocks that have been machined. 1-DOAE-J , and 2 - D2AE-CA. 1 bored .030, 1bored .040, 1 not sure. all 2 bolt mains. Also 1 set of 2v heads machined with new guides but no springs. Says he bought them out of a machine shop going out of business to keep them from being scrapped. Has 1 set of re-sized rods.  Any Idea what they are worth?  He is asking for an offer.

I think you haven't gotten much response because it all depends on what you are going to do with the parts.

Personally, I would avoid any block already bored oversized, especially one at 0.040"! Around me in Michigan I can turn up a core engine for $300-400 that is standard bore. This to me is more attractive because the block can be sized to the pistons and I have all of the little bits and pieces needed.

Its hard to buy parts like this without thoroughly checking them over or paying to have them checked.

-Matt

The .040 bored block should be sonic tested before trying to use. All of the blocks would be a crap shoot, shoddy workmanship may be the reason the shop went out of business. When the blocks are bored enough material has to be left so the cylinders can be honed for both correct finish and to the correct size for piston clearance. Machined blocks can also mean having them decked and crank journals line bored. 

If you need a new block I would wait until I found a standard bore block in decent condition and then have necessary machining done, will cost more initially, but maybe less later if custom pistons are needed to fill the cylinders of the already machined blocks, or the machined blocks had too much of the decks removed, or???

I have no interest in any of this stuff. Was just curious as to what value might be. I agree that if I needed a new engine, I would want to start with a clean, unmolested, block.

This guy is asking $800 for everything but indicated he would accept any reasonable offer. It also occurred to me that somebody owned these blocks when the machine shop went out of business, have to wonder if they are missing them.

I sold a standard bore 4 bolt block that had been vatted, magna fluxed, taper measured, and sonic checked. The racing machine shop  shop said it would for sure clean up at + .030 and perhaps at + .020. I got $600.00. That may or may not mean anything. Chuck

Just a note on the overbore. The 73 vert I bought from a professional racer in California had sat for 25 years in his garage. I quizzed him on why he never drove it and his excuse was he lived in California and had his pit crew build the engine and he took to his summer home in Reno Nevada and it just sat there.
The car started and was driven onto hauler and I started and drove a couple miles home. Brakes were just barely there. It sat two more years while I built shop and did other stuff. When I got it going I drove to a show the next day and temp got almost to the H. I had put 195 Cleveland thermostat in and radiator was clean. When I parked at the show and walked to front to open the hood the coolant blew out the overflow.
I have known this to happen when head gasket is backwards so I checked with a mirror and the R.H. was backwards. So he had let the car set for 25 years because it got almost hot. When I pulled the heads it was bored .050" over and I think he figured he just went too far with bore. Car has AC and auto and does not run hot now in 90 deg. + heat in town. So at least one can handle .050" over. I have heard of racers running .080" over and not fill the block either.
As far as price I turned down two std. 2 bolt clevelands for $150 I have couple extra already. That was complete engines.

I have several blocks in good shape here in Tennessee.  I've bought two engines and one shortblock over the last few years.  I've bought a machined block for as little as 300.00 at .030 over.  I bought a complete short block for less than that and a complete engine and transmission for a hundred or so more.  2 bolt blocks are the most common-nothing wrong with them at all.

Back