Ignition Switches.....

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stewart

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang convertible. 460 with C6 auto
1965 Falcon Hardtop. 221 2V 350 Holley with Supra 5 speed box
Hello everyone. 

My 1972 convertible has had a start button added as it appears the start contacts in the ignition switch have gone high resistance. And in doing so chopped off the start wire from from the switch in the loom.

I bought a new replacement from CJ Pony parts and it plugs in and works - yay!!! So the button and wiring has been removed. 

The big challenge is that the new switch works in the opposite direction to the old one. Has anyone ever come across this before?? I have a bracket made so I should have a solution.

The bigger question is, what is the original switch from????

Any information would be greatly received.

IMG_20210107_193900008.jpg

Don't know if I can answer your question?  What do you mean by in the opposite direction?  Sounds like you have some wires cross somewhere.  Check the below link to the wiki section schematics for your 72.  You should be able to get your wiring straighten out using this.  

1972_full.pdf (7173mustangs.com)

Hi Kilgon,

Thanks, I have the schematic and did make sure that the new switch had the same wiring, wiring colours and switching arrangements. 

It's the mechanical operation that's opposite. The old switch pulls to go from lock to on to start and the new pushes from off to on to start....

If that makes sense.

Hi Kilgon,

Thanks, I have the schematic and did make sure that the new switch had the same wiring, wiring colours and switching arrangements. 

It's the mechanical operation that's opposite. The old switch pulls to go from lock to on to start and the new pushes from off to on to start....

If that makes sense.
Yes it does.  Now the question is if that is a 72 Mustang steering column?  The original column key lock assembly is a push style.  If yours is a pull it would make me believe that you have a different make steering column.  If you look at the attached diagram you can see in the dotted outline of the gear rail that the ignition lock engages. As you can see the rail is on the top so when you turn the key it pushes.  For it to be a pull type the rail would need to be on the bottom. This diagram is a standard Ford column and is the way ours are set up.  It can only go in one way and there is no way to modify it to make it work some other way that I know of.  Hope this helps.

ford_mustang_locking_steering_columns+locking_steering_column_diagram_t_bolts.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi - yes, my thoughts exactly... 

It appears that the ignition switch has the same switching functions and may well be a ford, but not a mustang as I bought a turn indicator unit and it didn't fit, and also a new set of keys and barrels, and the ignition one doesn't fit either... so buggered if I know. Even the threaded holes to hold the switch itself are nuts welded to the outer steering tube and there is a guide for the push-rod which is a nut welded to the tube on its edge... And now thinking about it the ignition key looks like a GM type...

It has a tilt steering column which really isn't needed as the tilt is down.

Yes, the gear that drives the rod to the switch is on the bottom so pulls as you turn the key.

Given this car has been converted to RHD seems to be a bodgie job...

The acid test will be whether I can fit my new steering wheel - whether the spline and collar will line up.

Thanks for your feedback, it is certainly appreciated and I'm thinking I might have a hybrid thanks to the conversion.

Cheers mate

Sounds like a bundle of troubles.  Where are you located?  I'm going to take it for granted either down under or across the pond.  Might be easier to see if any members on the site here who live around your part of the world have one for sale.  I'm for sure shipping from the states would be costly. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep - down under...

And am searching the interweb atm for a complete steering column. The mounts appear to be the same under the dash, but will have to see what the coupling is like to the steering box..

Even if I can get a LHD one locally that would be better.

Cheers,

Back