Package Tray Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdm1952

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
Has anyone found a better option to the fiberboard package tray in 71 fastbacks. I bought a new one and in no time the fiberboard faded and warped to make it look like crap. even a home designed option would be okay. Have the time to mess with it before shows start in the coming summer. 

I bought mine from NPD back in '06. It's not perfect, but it still looks good. Sprayed it with a coat of sating black before installation. IMO, you could use hardboard from your local home improvement center and trace the pattern from your existing part. A couple light coats of interior color should do the trick. 

I made my own from a piece of 1/8 fiber board (hardboard). I also installed hidden 4" speakers into it, then covered it with some "generic carpet" I found at a local auto parts store. It's like a felt material with no backing, and actually looks like it should be there. I don't think I have any close up pics to show, but I can take a couple if needed. Here's one, best I've got right now. You can see it's a kind of fuzzy material.

DSC00433 (3).JPG

Back