1 of the 42 Factory '71 429 Convertibles could be in your garage....

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen 2 cabs 429 CJ's in 30+ years, none had the spoiler. Which looks btw weirdly distorted on this one.

Was this tail panel finish an option/combo that came with the twist cap in 71?  Looks like vinyl sticked on. My 71 CJ has the honeycomb and popup gas cap.
Don't recall seen vinyl used there before anyway or is it some flat/texture only plastic panel?

Sale estimate: $150-175K. I expect my friend David to be all over this one ))

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0121-444973/1971-ford-mustang-convertible/
7173Vert, now I remember why I like the "Gotta Have It Green" so much on the late model Mustangs. To say this color pops is an understatement.

There are a few things on this model that it didn't leave Dearborn with. If used for an occasional driver (or daily if you feel adventurous) I would leave as is and let that big block continue pushing my eyeballs through the back of my head. If headed for the show car circuit or concourse level, then the few changes on this one would be easy to revert back to original.

Will be interesting to see where the price goes on this one.

I've seen 2 cabs 429 CJ's in 30+ years, none had the spoiler. Which looks btw weirdly distorted on this one.

Was this tail panel finish an option/combo that came with the twist cap in 71?  Looks like vinyl sticked on. My 71 CJ has the honeycomb and popup gas cap.
Don't recall seen vinyl used there before anyway or is it some flat/texture only plastic panel?
Hello Fabrice, Yes, I'm still alive and way behind on your project, but I WILL let you know more, hopefully, tonight. (And I know you've heard that before...but I am working on it)!!!

As I replied in a post to 7173Vert, there a few things on this vert that are not OE. None that couldn't be changed if that is your desire. The front spoiler was standard and only available on the '71 Boss 351 and was never a standalone option on any other 71-73 Mustang. Once again a very popular dealer over the counter item, I sold plenty of them! The distortion could be from some not property aligned drill holes (ask me how I know that) to some unforgiving curbs.
The black taillight panel (applique in Ford language) is a camera case finish panel that was standard on all '71 Mustangs except the Mach1(Honey comb panel) and the Boss, which had the body color painted taillight panel. Early production Sportroof (02) models had a "Mustang" tape stripe on the deck lid and a body-color taillight panel. Around Feb '71 Ford deleted those and added the applique panel, moldings, and the chrome block Mustang letters. The twist style fuel cap was standard on all models, with the pop open cap only available on the Mach1. There are a few other things such as ram-air on a C code, dual exhaust cut out rear valence panel, and the Mach1 grill. None of which hurts my feelings and looks great on this one. And it is nice to see a ram air cleaner not plastered with so many decals it looks like a billboard! :biggrin:

I know you've heard that before.
I'm waaay beyond "BlueFromHoldingMyBreath" by now :D

So the "applique" (sounds french) was the same as the vinyl roof? I mean glued on the car and the 2 chrome lines added? Or was it some thin piece of plastic with the texture?

I've never seen that spoiler adding anything to our cars (with good or wrong drilings). It's just there, not even fitting the car properly, it ruins the line imo. Not even sure it actually does something except adding extra drag. Dunno why they did not make one mixed with the valance. 
But hey, mea culpa too! I've ordered one once in the late 80's by NPD as my friends were pushing, kuz spoilers were cool back then. But once I got it, tried it on and my eyes just couldn't accept it, so sold it.

The current owner bought it two years ago. He had previously contacted me about selling mine to him before buying this. He is in the Detroit area. Not sure why he is selling it... He got the car like this. I know he has owned B-9’s and has a nice 60’s corvette as well. The AC, PW, ram air and other options were added at some point in time in the past. It also had headers on it, I believe he swapped those out.  At this price point, I would expect a return to original as it left the factory, for me if I was in the market. But, it is rare, the only C Code with a 4-spd. I think the estimate is a little on the optimistic side, especially given the current world wide situation....

I think it's colors like this that moved Ford to make the Exterior Decor Group an option, it needs some black to offset all that green.  :classic_blink:

I'm interested to see where this one ends up. Kind of disappointed that a PO decided to "option up" a true 1 of 1 car that doesn't involve a tissue dispenser or floor mats. 

Hello Fabrice, Yes, I'm still alive and way behind on your project, but I WILL let you know more, hopefully, tonight. (And I know you've heard that before...but I am working on it)!!!

As I replied in a post to 7173Vert, there a few things on this vert that are not OE. None that couldn't be changed if that is your desire. The front spoiler was standard and only available on the '71 Boss 351 and was never a standalone option on any other 71-73 Mustang. Once again a very popular dealer over the counter item, I sold plenty of them! The distortion could be from some not property aligned drill holes (ask me how I know that) to some unforgiving curbs.
The black taillight panel (applique in Ford language) is a camera case finish panel that was standard on all '71 Mustangs except the Mach1(Honey comb panel) and the Boss, which had the body color painted taillight panel. Early production Sportroof (02) models had a "Mustang" tape stripe on the deck lid and a body-color taillight panel. Around Feb '71 Ford deleted those and added the applique panel, moldings, and the chrome block Mustang letters. The twist style fuel cap was standard on all models, with the pop open cap only available on the Mach1. There are a few other things such as ram-air on a C code, dual exhaust cut out rear valence panel, and the Mach1 grill. None of which hurts my feelings and looks great on this one. And it is nice to see a ram air cleaner not plastered with so many decals it looks like a billboard! :biggrin:

boss 1 rear.png

Boss 351 had either satin argent or satin black paint on rear tailight panel depending on exterior color with twist on cap only. 

Ray

I find the rear treated like this (pict above) the nicest of all. Strange how this little paint contrast cleans up the line and makes it so beautifully 70's style.
I will have to fight very hard to resist to do similar on my 71.

Sold for $105,000 + commission fee’s... 

Back