Wimbledon White? Creamy?

Sprayed the door jambs today.  Looks yellow to me.  Is this right?  Mixed Wimbledon White, but...

EFA46DE2-8F65-499D-8B68-719A8329C4AD.jpeg

D6584D61-E9BA-4CA6-B33A-F5FADAF3DE0D.jpeg

60DFC417-4A9D-474C-B4C3-BC2CB959BE6E.jpeg

spacer.png
1931 Ford Model A Station Wagon
1969 Mach 1 - 351C, TKO-600, 4WDB, R&P, A/C, Shaker, Fold Down, etc.
1972 Mach 1 - 351C, FMX, PDB, PS, A/C, Fold Down, Console
1996 Mustang Cobra Convertible - 10psi Procharger, 436rwhp

I have an original white Vert and when compared to my wife's new white CRV in garage it does appear  'yellow.'  course the lighting in garage is LED. I think another assessment would be needed in the sunlight. Just my opinion. 

Edit: Your creamy description would be better than yellow. 

Edited by cv_72mustang

yep, its more creamy than traditional white. I'll be repainting mine at some point and I'll being going for the original wimbledon white, the respray that's on the car in my profile pic is a little on the "full fat" milk creamy side, but I'd hope the original was more low fat/semi-skimmed" variety....

So does my color look right?  I expected a brighter/cleaner white.

spacer.png

Wimbledon white is definitely not a bright white, but is creamy. You can see the difference in this color sheet. By memory it's even a little more creamy than shown here.spacer.png

• Like 2

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

I had the same reaction when I painted my car. I was sure it was the wrong color. The clear coat made it look more white. Chuck

• Like 1

I am really struggling with this.  My wife said move forward with it, but I think I just hate it.

spacer.png

37 minutes ago, 69 Rustang said:

I am really struggling with this.  My wife said move forward with it, but I think I just hate it.

The black will help set it off. My Sprint is WW (9A) and looks good with the red/blue colors. If the whole car was plain white it would be too plain.

73364D39-E70E-424A-9364-DEE77000EA45.jpeg

• Like 1
adpic.jpg

For sure the Wimbledon white is not a pure white. If I remember correct they even put black in the mix. Has been my experience with adding clear coat it makes the pure white yellow looking. Digital pics are also deceiving. The color in digital pics is subject to what the computer in the camera sees and then what my computer sees when I view. A real photograph is exactly what was there. Wish I had my Kodachrome again, use to spend hours in dark room.
I would go back to the place you got the paint and have them make sure they mixed correct. The other question I would have is do you have good clean dry air supply? If you do not have an air dryer and a desiccant filter. You can make a water separator pretty easily. You buy a coil of copper tubing and get you a container to run the coil in with a small bleed valve in the bottom that you allow to bubble all the time. Air in the bottom out the top. Fill the bucket with cold water and ice. If you have dirty wet air it can blush the paint and look entirely wrong. You are also outside with no control of temp or humidity. I would be arrested where I live if I painted outside. EPA would make us take the soil up and burn it. So a couple things to check.
Wimbledon White was more a a shift to gray not yellow.

• Like 1

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

On 1/12/2021 at 11:10 AM, Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs said:

The other question I would have is do you have good clean dry air supply?
Wimbledon White was more a a shift to gray not yellow.

I have a Tsunami commercial filtration and desiccant system.  So it is a pretty decent air supply.  I do realize I am pushing my luck painting in my driveway—I am keeping the projects small and quick...and time them when the witch that lives next door is out of town for the weekend.  

I also thought Wimbledon White shifted to gray, but the pictures I keep pulling up show a yellow hue.  I would be elated with a gray shift.

• LOL 1

spacer.png

I restored and sprayed a 71 Mach 1 in Wimbledon White/clear coat a few years ago.

Perhaps these pics can help you gauge if you are on target with your mix of paint. 

Ford Mustang Mach 1 1971 429 CJ Front side view.jpg

Ford Mustang Mach 1 1971 429 CJ Rear View.jpg

• Like 1

Tim: Restoring 71-73 Ponies, Restoring People

139A1893.jpg

I really like the Wimbeldon White, over a brighter white. I think it's classier....sort of a color you might see on expensive Pebble Beach cars, as opposed to an inexpensive import car white. It has a "surfboard white' kind of hue.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ponypastor said:

I restored and sprayed a 71 Mach 1 in Wimbledon White/clear coat a few years ago.

Perhaps these pics can help you gauge if you are on target with your mix of paint. 

Ford Mustang Mach 1 1971 429 CJ Front side view.jpg

Ford Mustang Mach 1 1971 429 CJ Rear View.jpg

Very helpful, thank you. 

spacer.png

Your car looks like it is coming along nicely.   You probably know this already but here a reminder that the rear underside of the hood near where the wipers disappear is painted black on lighter color cars.  I have a pic somewhere from my original paint car that I'll post if I can find it.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Late to the conversation here, but, was looking for a picture of my car in WW that shows what I refer to as the 'ivory' tone. Wast most noticeable in this picture as the car is in the shade.

IMG-20150811-00642.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Don65Stang said:

Your car looks like it is coming along nicely.   You probably know this already but here a reminder that the rear underside of the hood near where the wipers disappear is painted black on lighter color cars.  I have a pic somewhere from my original paint car that I'll post if I can find it.

I’m glad you mentioned it—I had forgotten that actually.  Was it sprayed on or brushed?  The bottom of my hood is black now, it probably wouldn’t be correct but maybe I just protect the current blackout at the back of the hood as I jamb in the rest of it.  That or I re-apply it.  Pictures of a good example would be hugely helpful.  UPDATE:  I just found pictures of the hood underside blackout on the 429 site under Paint Info.

Edited by 69 Rustang

spacer.png

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but this is first I've heard of the black paint being applied to rear underside of the hood. Would either of you know if this carried through to '73? thanks!

14 hours ago, secluff said:

The blackout was sprayed on the rear underside of the hood on all 71-73 Mustangs. Ford felt that the open area created by the new cowl parking wipers was distracting and was treated to the blackout paint on all light colored cars.

underhood-1.JPG

Very interesting! Learn something new every day. Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 6:57 PM, Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs said:

Humm I have a 1984 20th. Anniversary Mustang and they had Wimbledon white it never looked yellow?? Of course I cannot see the number in the mixed up eye charts either.

David, starting in 1984, Ford started painting the Fox Mustangs "9L" Oxford White. So while you feel the rest of you is falling apart, your eyesight is fine. Oxford white is a pure white, so no yellowish look!   :stang:

Steve

No Officer...I really don't know how fast I was going, my speedometer stopped at 140!

Your are right on the Oxford but when they mixed it I watched them add black and other tints also. Was not just white. BTW that is my yellow hood in the picture with the black. The other areas that got the black that most miss is around the front side marker on 73 Mach 1 and beside tail light opening in rear. Yes the brochure shows both ways but every original paint 73 Mach 1 I have looked at was blacked out. Looks much better. This is the yellow car has decor group so black on tail light also. The sprayed the black on before stripes and mine is flaking off.

DSC_0260.JPG

100_2756.JPG

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David