Don’t see these come up often...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7173Vert

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Convertible, 1973 Hardtop
71-3 Fastback original Ford  factory replacement full quarter panels and he is selling both sides for $1200cdn $$$ ($900 ish US $$). A good price, I think. About an hour North of Toronto... I could have used these 29 years ago.... 

E6E1956E-A7AA-4B00-B90B-AF3F663FB103.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I paid $375 US for a left NOS quarter panel.  You also need the wheel trim, got that from NPD also NOS.  Lucky me!

There are shipping issues, it is a large somewhat fragile panel.  Anytime you can find NOS parts you need, grab them.

mike

P9060045.JPG

I paid $375 US for a left NOS quarter panel.  You also need the wheel trim, got that from NPD also NOS.  Lucky me!

There are shipping issues, it is a large somewhat fragile panel.  Anytime you can find NOS parts you need, grab them.

mike

That's a great price. How long ago was that? I see them advertised for a grand a piece these day's, when you can finds them... I agree, something like this is a drive to pick up only scenario if I were in the market... If it was closer, I would offer a g note and pick them up. I'm sure I could double my money... Those day's are behind me, I only buy what I need now, not for the future. The timing would be perfect if someone was doing a faithful restoration and wanted two NOS rear fastback 1/4 panels. Worth the drive..., but, not for our Southern friend's due to the border closing at the moment.

View attachment 47773

We supplied many of Ford's plants with stampings. On service parts we would save up all the rejects from the stamping line and keep in warehouse and when Ford place a service part order we sent them the rejects, lol. If those panels were not zinc coated the get rust on them and the service parts went to e-coat and have rust under the paint. Any panel you get Ford or repo should be stripped on the outside likely to find rust. I have sanded a lot this year and I have not found a Ford panel that did not have rust under the factory paint. The Q vert I am sanding now the PO had it back in primer and rolling chassis when I got it. I started blocking a front fender and saw color. The body had been dipped stripped but he had put a different fender on. So I got the DA out and the factory grabber blue paint was still there and is horribly rusty under it. The trunk I was going to use I have had inside for 20+ years probably. Original Ford paint and it was also covered in rust under the paint.
I started sanding in the back and worked my way around the passenger quarter and door and front fender align better than my original Mach 1. I go to the drivers side and the door was giving me fits. So I pulled that door off and put another that I had and same issue. So I started cutting templates from one of my original cars and found out that the NOS Ford quarter he used on the drivers side was not put on properly. So I have to split and hack it up to get it to align to door both gap and surface is off as much as 1/2". So just because someone uses NOS parts does not guarantee perfect fit.
Since most here did not work in the stamping and tooling industry you do not realize how little it costs to stamp a part. On what is know as a tandem line, separate press, that are loaded and unloaded with robots. On a 2,000 ton lead off press, which is large enough to stamp the outer and inner roof for BMW sports Activity vehicles it costs $.50 yes fifty cents per press hit so you go through 6 presses it costs about $3.00 to stamp out about any part on a car. When you run front fenders and doors you usually run left and right together so even less cost. There is some fluctuation in cost depending on number of employees at the end of the line to rack the parts. In that same line we stamped fenders for John Deere lawn mowers and the Honda walk behind mower sold at Home Depot. So it cost the same to stamp out a 21" walk behind mower as a roof for a BMW sports activity. Humm I wonder what the cost difference is to go buy one? The cost of steel for what they used just raw CR1006 usually is $.25 / lb..
While I was in China the Chinese government sued BMW for monopoly on their service parts and forced them to reduce the prices tremendously. For sure we get screwed every time we go buy parts. Yes the tooling is expensive but the sale of the cars pays for the tooling many times over on most vehicles.
Another example of how cheap things can be made. My name is on the patent for a process to produce lawn mower blades using Boron alloy steel and they cost $1.85 to make. Go buy one.
Small stampings made in progressive dies make the parts for pennies each. A complex part can run 70 - 80 parts per minute. Chain saw chain links run at 800 strokes per minute and punch 4 at a time so 3,200 parts per minute.
An entire Mustang body headed to paint today costs about $800 for every stamping. So keep that in mind when you get your catalog out to order parts.

Back