Power Steering Hose Size - Pressure Hose

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parkka

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertible
[url=https://ibb.co/cgCFb3N][img]https://i.ibb.co/j6WMVfL/IMG-20190713-145003409.jpg[/img][/url]
We are having a hard time finding the correct power steering hose (pressure) for our 73 Vert.  I've ordered about 3 to 4 from Mustang websites but they all comeback wrong.  The machine shop where the engine presently is located also cannot find the correct one as the original hose is worn and the numbers are not legible.  Below are three photos of the connections.  The machine shop indicates the male end to the pump is 3/8 inverted flare.  Can anyone give me an idea of where to go to get the correct hose?

Thanks

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

Any place that makes up hydraulic hoses should be able to make it for you. Some auto parts stores still do this or you made need to find a place like Genalco which caters to industrial and construction applications.

The pressure hose does not connect directly to the pump, there is an "S" shaped hard line that fits between them. You can find more information about them by searching the forum.

Here's a picture of one at West Coast Cougars

Pressure Line Outlet Tube Assembly - Power Steering - Used for 1971 Mercury Cougar, 1972 Mercury Cougar, 1973 Mercury Cougar, 1971 Ford Mustang, 1972 Ford Mustang, 1973 Ford Mustang at West Coast Classic Cougar :: The Definitive 1967 - 1973 Mercury Cougar Parts Source (cougarpartscatalog.com)

Here is the engine that was finally completed.  Just waiting for the power steering hose before it goes back in.  After I removed all of the a/c, I left the mounting bracket and attached a 'Ford' plate.  The plate was originally designed to fit along the top of the a/c compressor, so with the same specifications, it fit perfectly on the compressor based if any one is interested in doing that to theirs.

Dan

IMG_20201228_105657706.jpg

This is almost impossible to find.

Going back a little over 7 years mine was leaking but 73Pony here was able to bend pipe and up to selling my 73 this past Sunday it was working with no leaks for over 7 years. 

So either buy the one from NPD or contact 73Pony.

I ordered the power steering pipe extension and it should be here by monday, so on tuesday I'll have it down to the machine shop for the final fitting test.  I'll let you know how it goes.

as for the cam, its an Edelbrock Performer-Plus for a 302 (2122) with Edelbrock 1.6:1 rockers (77780), Edelbrock Performer 289 Manifold (21213) and E-Street 5023 cylinder Heads.  Nothing outrages.

The reason I asked about the cam is if it used the original firing order.  Did Edelbrock say which firing order should be used?  Your engine is wired with the original 302 order in the picture.

Ok, so im confused. I ordered the 73 pressure flex line. My PS rack had no lines on it when I got it. Am I understanding correct that a hard line goes between the flex hose and the rack? Does someone have an illustration of the various components of the 73 PS system. I’m not ready to install anything yet, I just want to get what I need ordered before I need it. Thanks, Steve

Ok, now I get it. For my application, I don’t need that fixed pipe. I’m using a complete 5.0 engine, swapped from an 87 TBird; it has a different pump on it that doesn’t look anything like these setups. Next week, I’m taking the pump and the pressure hose (with lots of pictures and a drawing with dimensions in all three planes) to a hyd shop so they can either change the end fitting to adapt to the stock TBird pump, or, make an adapter to connect the stock 73 hose to the TBird setup. The second option is the one I want so I’ll be able to buy a stock hose in the event it fails in the future.

bought ours from NPD but couldnt get it to thread in. ended up chaseing the thread with a utility knife.

Back