Torsion bars

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 "Q Code"
So I recently added a rear spoiler (verified it was no backwards) to my fastback and as I expected, the placement of the torsion bar(s) would not hold the trunk open. Searches in the site showed homemade tools and the classic cougar site had the tool available but most said it didn't work. I made my own and it worked perfectly and took about 1 minute to drill and about 5 seconds to adjust the torsion bar. Home depot 12 inch mending plate $4.00.  Drill a hole at one end, closer to one side (about 3/8 from one side), oval out this hole to get a little grip if you need it. Drill another about 2 5/8 inches down closer to the other side. Slide the tool on and adjust the torsion rod. Pic is below, no bending of the tool required. Nothing too it. Good luck, I hope this helps someone.

Tom

20210113_180028.jpg

All I used was a pair of wise grips. Pics of the torsion bars were recently in a post. On my car, it had a repro spoiler which was lighter than the factory original I now have on. I had to max the tension to get the trunk to stay open without hitting me on the head..... and that has happened.

IMG_0707.1.JPG

IMG_0708.1.JPG

IMG_0709.1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Geoff, when I put vice grips on mine, for some reason. maybe because it was harbor freight vice grips, they kept slipping. I remember you mentioned that method before so thanks for the info. 

Tom

Thanks Geoff, when I put vice grips on mine, for some reason. maybe because it was harbor freight vice grips, they kept slipping. I remember you mentioned that method before so thanks for the info. 

Tom
Tom, maybe I got lucky with the vise grips, but your simple tool might be a safer way to go. There is a lot of tension on those rods for sure.

Thanks timachone for posting the video. Two things, it shows that ViseGrips are the best option to adjust the rods and second it proves that the spoiler placement for the NPD reproduction that was on my car when I bought it, was in fact 1" too far back. Mine is also set at 10 1/2" from the top of the deck lid. I also know that there is some disagreement as to the actual measurement that is shown on the 429 megasite, but I have measured the placement on a friends factory installed spoiler and it matches the 429 dimensions. See below. 

The NPD reproduction is probably as good as you'll get, except it is much lighter being as it's made from ABS and it has a flat leading edge (the fat edge that goes towards the front of the car!!!). Other than that and the fact the mount dimension is not as factory (probably for copyright reasons) it's acceptable.

SpoilerLocation2.jpg

I took my spoiler off and posted pics of the measurements before. It is way crooked as most things are on these cars. For sure that car is way off so much bad info out there. For sure my car is original I did not even let the dealership do their prep. Shipping brackets stayed on and the IBM punch cards and odd bolts in the floor. It was factory installed.
I have never even noticed it being so crooked either.

20200514_172025.jpg

20200514_172117.jpg

20200514_172154.jpg

20200514_172236.jpg

20200514_172258.jpg

20200514_172843.jpg

20200514_172855.jpg

20200514_172916.jpg

20200514_172930.jpg

20200514_172946.jpg

20200514_173006.jpg

20200515_185349.jpg

20200515_185405.jpg

Wow David, your spoiler is on as crooked as a dogs hind leg. Your dimension, that I know you've posted at least once before, are between both examples, NPD and the 429 megasite. It does go to prove, Ford had no time for accuracy, just get it on and out.

The downside of using the NPD repop spoiler dimensions is it places the trailing edge of the spoiler past the end of the deck lid and that to me, just looks wrong. As I mentioned before, I did measure the front location on a friends factory installed spoiler and both side were 9 1/2" (give or take a 1/16th) So, what's best? I'd say no more than 10" to the front mount hole, so splitting the difference.

All I know is this is a 100% original and that is where the spoiler is on this car. I would have expected it was a hydraulic off line pierce fixture to add the holes. Had to be included in the Buck before paint. It for sure did not concern me as far as accuracy and I was tool and die maker.

All I know is this is a 100% original and that is where the spoiler is on this car. I would have expected it was a hydraulic off line pierce fixture to add the holes. Had to be included in the Buck before paint. It for sure did not concern me as far as accuracy and I was tool and die maker.
Nothing is perfect in this world. It is what it is and that bugs the hell out of me.

Back