Mini update with pics (some body gap line up)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
429CJ, 4 Speed, 3.25 Traction Lock N case, A/C, P/W, tilt, fold down seats, int. wipers, deluxe interior.
Hey guys! How cool is this, the green machine is taking shape! 
overall I’m really happy with the gaps all things considered. In fact I ended up not using the passenger repop fender because of how badly it lined up and went back to the original one and will just deal with the body work. That being said the only “non Original” part on the whole outer sheet metal is the very rear quarter panel section below the side marker light. Besides that this baby has all original sheet metal! 
with that being said gaps aren’t perfect but very passable. 

spent quite a bit of time on fenders and hood yesterday as well as getting my twist locks to function well. 

question is the front hood trim seems to be a bit on the short side. Anyone else experience this? Also, the hood, while the gap side to side is awesome the curvature as it follows the fender is a tiny bit off almost like the hood is raised up in the middle. 

thoughts? I’m ok with accepting a bit of give and take on this build as it is going to be driven a lot but figured I’d see what your guys thoughts are! Below are some progress pics! Enjoy!

08946F60-3FD1-4D27-9D26-C38EA8DF4BDB.jpeg

3E0D8CB7-4ABB-4F05-BF9F-C3CE70CE634C.jpeg

B3977242-131F-4086-B9AE-1B4037F65AEC.jpeg

032E5450-5AA6-4203-B62B-FA1C7A896C03.jpeg

1B4D3B19-7820-47AE-AF25-9DFCB4EA1406.jpeg

AC29853F-ACF4-43EE-A00A-0DC25847333C.jpeg

8A36590A-F31A-49D3-A534-11DA8D1714B7.jpeg

4804B431-C4EA-4692-8B29-A5DDA8E58D28.jpeg

Looking good! Is the front hood trim a reproduction? I ran into this on mine with the non Ford tooling reproduction part. I ended up getting the Ford tooling piece, fit was much better. On the hood, my reproduction hood had the arch in the middle. I ended up using shims under the fender bolts to get a better fit. Fit was much better. Ryan

Last edited by a moderator:
My car is a '73 and the front hood trim on mine actually caps over the hood on the outboard ends.

In regards to your question about the hood curvature, it seems to be a pretty common thing. Mine certainly has the same issue. I've heard various reasons put forward mostly centered on the overall length and pressure of the hinges acting on the hood when closed. Have no idea if that is valid though.

20210114_145026.jpg

20210114_144614.jpg

The hood bow is very common, mine had it. Straightened some of it out with a 2"x4" and a dead blow hammer (before paint). I took care of the rest with shims under the fender. The repo parts are notorious for not being correct. The new name for your paint color is "Damned Sure Green". Chuck

Looking good as usual.  I can't wait to see how the dash turns out.  You might be starting a new trend.  From what I have read on this site the only way to adjust the curvature of the hood is to bend it.  David - "Carolina Mountains Mustangs " has mentioned that it is the way to adjust them.  He would be able to tell you how to go about it.

My hood trim is short as well, I have begun adding body fill to the ends (both of them), sanding and then adding some more a few days later to extend them.  @PNWMach1, where did you buy your hood molding? As it is, I have almost no body filler and even though I am adding a little at a time to my hood molding, I would rather not have too. Thanks Trevynd. your car is looking great, keep it up.

Tom

Alrighty guys I’m finding out some interesting stuff

as mentioned above it seems most go over in fact I have a repop piece that does and it doesn’t fit. 

I’m trying to read the part number. I believe early 71 models (mine is 11/70) 

had a different piece. 

anyone else? 

665BF288-D893-4574-BE7C-314FABBC3F3E.jpeg

3D87213F-CFDA-4B14-8514-747E59FA152F.jpeg

CF02AB78-587B-46C9-9AF9-3F997FD4562F.jpeg

0C107833-14AC-4053-81CF-D3B1D1460632.jpeg

6EE0E998-A44C-4A57-A7B9-9295EE0959C7.jpeg

BA55A478-1C6E-44C4-92E9-9306BEDD15A1.jpeg

My hood trim is short as well, I have begun adding body fill to the ends (both of them), sanding and then adding some more a few days later to extend them.  @PNWMach1, where did you buy your hood molding? As it is, I have almost no body filler and even though I am adding a little at a time to my hood molding, I would rather not have too. Thanks Trevynd. your car is looking great, keep it up.

Tom
See my comment below but I think there may be a slight difference in hood trim depending on year  cuz I got a repop and it doesn’t fit And has the wrap around part

Looking good! Is the front hood trim a reproduction? I ran into this on mine with the non Ford tooling reproduction part. I ended up getting the Ford tooling piece, fit was much better. On the hood, my reproduction hood had the arch in the middle. I ended up using shims under the fender bolts to get a better fit. Fit was much better. Ryan
 Thanks for the tips! I def plan on trying the shim idea. No repop sheetmetal here! But with that being said it is 50 year old sheet metal and who knows the history haha!

Nice work!! 

I installed a repop hood and front trim. The hood was bowed and about 1/4" high in the front third. Since it was painted I was hesitant to try to straighten it but went for it. I placed a piece of 2x4 on end on the bumper bracket going up to the hood with a shop rag on top. I marked the hood at it's worst points and then started massaging it by just pressing down by hand. I was able to take the vast majority of the excess arch out of the hood. That said, my understanding the seams are folded over the inner and spot welded on original hoods and just folded over the inner on the repop, maybe someone can verify that. My front trim is short too. I am going to check the original that's hanging on my wall to see if it fits better. I may have to get that one painted... my painter is good! 

I bought the repop hood trim and had to cut it to clear the front lip on the hood. There are two different styles as you've found out. I acquired a nice straight original hood trim, that I plan to use in the future. 

Tom
Vintageman:

Hood molding is original to my knowledge...it was on the car when I bought it in '86. Seeing the differences between Trevynd's and mine, I wonder if the design changed for '73?

Back