On demand ram air under $30

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 dark green
Just did this today, got the inspiration from Tony-muscle thread on similar set up.

Installed a vacuum solenoid for my ram air and a switch in the console inside the car (I want to keep my interior fairly clutter free).  Simple to do, vacuum line from actuator to solenoid, vacuum line from solenoid to manifold.  Ground under solenoid and hot wire to switch in cabin. With the flick of the switch the ram air doors open and I will probably leave the Ram Air open most times, fresh air can't hurt!!

odra3.jpg

odra2.jpg

odra1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know, how could I tell if it does? Just two ports on the sealed body 
Is it normally closed or normally open? Basically, when you close the solenoid, does it release the vacuum or not? If it is normally open and you activate the switch with the engine in idle, then the flaps will stay close if the vacuum is not released. The vacuum is either released by the solenoid, or through a leak. If the solenoid is normally closed, if you activate the switch with the engine on and then deactivate it, the same would happen and then the flaps will stay open until the vacuum is lost through a leak. The best is to test it. When in idle, if the flaps respond right away several times to the on/off switch then all should be okay. Let us know.

I only tested it after install, on-off several times and response was immediate.   Don't remember if power on, flaps open or visa versa.   Right now with engine off, for the last 30 hours, flaps open. Will do some more testing soon.

I only tested it after install, on-off several times and response was immediate.   Don't remember if power on, flaps open or visa versa.   Right now with engine off, for the last 30 hours, flaps open. Will do some more testing soon.
Great! If the on/off and open/close response was immediate then it probably has an internal bypass or something. That's all it needs, a way to quickly release the "trapped" vacuum. 

Back