On demand ram air under $30

Just did this today, got the inspiration from Tony-muscle thread on similar set up.

Installed a vacuum solenoid for my ram air and a switch in the console inside the car (I want to keep my interior fairly clutter free).  Simple to do, vacuum line from actuator to solenoid, vacuum line from solenoid to manifold.  Ground under solenoid and hot wire to switch in cabin. With the flick of the switch the ram air doors open and I will probably leave the Ram Air open most times, fresh air can't hurt!!

odra3.jpg

odra2.jpg

odra1.jpg

Edited by jscott

Nice! Which vacuum solenoid switch did you use? 

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

Your vacuum solenoid looks more robust than the one I used. When closed, does it release the vacuum? Mine has a third port with a filter that releases the vacuum. 

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

1 hour ago, jscott said:

Don't know, how could I tell if it does? Just two ports on the sealed body 

Is it normally closed or normally open? Basically, when you close the solenoid, does it release the vacuum or not? If it is normally open and you activate the switch with the engine in idle, then the flaps will stay close if the vacuum is not released. The vacuum is either released by the solenoid, or through a leak. If the solenoid is normally closed, if you activate the switch with the engine on and then deactivate it, the same would happen and then the flaps will stay open until the vacuum is lost through a leak. The best is to test it. When in idle, if the flaps respond right away several times to the on/off switch then all should be okay. Let us know.

I only tested it after install, on-off several times and response was immediate.   Don't remember if power on, flaps open or visa versa.   Right now with engine off, for the last 30 hours, flaps open. Will do some more testing soon.

34 minutes ago, jscott said:

I only tested it after install, on-off several times and response was immediate.   Don't remember if power on, flaps open or visa versa.   Right now with engine off, for the last 30 hours, flaps open. Will do some more testing soon.

Great! If the on/off and open/close response was immediate then it probably has an internal bypass or something. That's all it needs, a way to quickly release the "trapped" vacuum. 

I believe that switch bleeds the vacuum when "off".

Black 1971 Mach 1

351C/FMX/TrickFlow Heads/Lunati Retro Roller Conversion

Classic Auto AC, Manual Front Discs, Upgraded Springs/Shocks/Close-Ratio Steering

IMG-2977.jpg

Took a look and this was what I saw on it.  BTW, I like this idea of being able to manually control the flaps.

Question:
Answer:
Yes, when deenergized.
Edited by jbojo
added additional comment
  • Fist Bump 1

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

That's a slick idea! Thanks for sharing. 

I have no valves or plenum in mine so when it rains the engine gets very wet. 

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]