Windshield wiper park when switch turned to off?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71' Grande project.
The 71 is slowly going back together.

Today I finished up installing the wiper motor and linkage.  Gave it a test run and it seems like the wipers don’t park on their own.  You have to time turning off the switch at just the right moment to park the wipers.

If so any guesses on what is wrong with mine?  Wiper motor is original to the car.  The harness appears to be be perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
After asking the question I went out in the garage and figured it out.

Discovered that the wiper motor gearbox has a cam that pushes a rod that breaks a contact inside the motor to make it park.  A flat spring returns the contact to position.  The rod having 50 year  old grease wasn’t freely returning.  Got that all cleaned up and put some fresh lightweight lube and it is working great.  The wipers park perfectly. 

If your wipers won’t park and you go down the same avenue I did the only advice I have is that the wiper motor is a DC Permanent magnet motor, so if you decide to remove the two screws with a 5/16” head and remove the cover it will try to take the rotor with it (because of the magnet).  Since there are carbon brushes on the rotor it would be easier to not make the same mistake I did.   If you take off the gearbox cover you can use something soft like a small piece of wood or plastic to put pressure on the worm gear, and that should keep the rotor in place while you remove and install the cover.  

Red circles show where the cam lever, pushrod and contact are.

9377010D-35EF-4A4A-8CFF-3D9EC92104BC.jpeg

1BE70D43-7298-41F6-9024-F57C8A253147.jpeg

E3B79256-6721-45C6-A16C-D5C1CE5878D7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back