Jump to content

Frame jig questions


Recommended Posts

Hi, I just now mounted my "new" rear frame to a frame jig. It's mounted to the jig in the leaf spring holes in the positions given in the Underbody dimensions diagram for 1972. 

I expected the rocker to sit parallel to the base line, but it really doesn't. The front of the car will sit much higher. 

I double checked all dimension but just want to confirm if this is how it should be? 

Also it seems like there are very few height dimensions overall in the diagram. Like for rockers, front and rear floor frame rails etc. Are there additional dimensions to the diagram? Pretty hard to put everything toghether correclty with this little data. 

 

Screenshot_20210125-194402_OneDrive.jpg

Edited by 4sp72mach
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, 

You will find that the most of the measurements between the 71-73 are similar, but there appears to be one dimension that is way off, and that’s the rear leaf spring mount to baseline dimension.  There is a difference of over 2.5 inch between the 71 and 72/73 diagrams, and it’s also making it tough for me to know what dimensions are correct and which aren’t. 

the rear dimension you have is, in my opinion wrong. It’s from the 1971,  but no, way can there be such a big difference between 71 and 72/73.. this could be the reason why  the back end is way lower and the front is now pointing upwards.

Try using the 1972-1973 dimensions and see if the holes all line up. I also wish I could obtain the correct underbody dimensions as I have both inner rocker panels out on my convertible and  trying to set her up just right before i weld them in. 

Regards,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Manaman said:

Hi, 

You will find that the most of the measurements between the 71-73 are similar, but there appears to be one dimension that is way off, and that’s the rear leaf spring mount to baseline dimension.  There is a difference of over 2.5 inch between the 71 and 72/73 diagrams, and it’s also making it tough for me to know what dimensions are correct and which aren’t. 

the rear dimension you have is, in my opinion wrong. It’s from the 1971,  but no, way can there be such a big difference between 71 and 72/73.. this could be the reason why  the back end is way lower and the front is now pointing upwards.

Try using the 1972-1973 dimensions and see if the holes all line up. I also wish I could obtain the correct underbody dimensions as I have both inner rocker panels out on my convertible and  trying to set her up just right before i weld them in. 

Regards,

Hi, yes it seems so and it's very strange. Frame rails are the same between 71-73 so there should be no such big differences. The 11.74 dimension actually is from the 1972 diagram. So they had it correct in 71 and the intruduced values that are way of in 72/73. Makes no sence..

I just read an old thread about this: https://7173mustangs.com/forums/topic/32491-frame-measurement-madness/ and it seems like 15.03 value is the way to go. 

If anyone else could confirm this I would be very grateful!

Edited by 4sp72mach
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, IA Rider said:

That is correct the rocker is not parallel.

Thank you, I also read in the thread Frame-measurement-madness that you built you jig with the 15.03 dimension and it all turned out OK.

Did the idler arm bracket and steering gear mounting holes match good as well?

Edited by 4sp72mach
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, IA Rider said:

16116679992957910532447518940280.thumb.jpg.770dfae7aaba59cbf0c81024873dd2a1.jpg16116681005094061758255598290795.thumb.jpg.10d5dd42d121d564c84097ecfe8846ed.jpgYes  the steering and idle arm matched at 15.87" and 10.4". 15.03" at the rear spring perch.

Sounds great. Hoping for the same luck for myself.. 

Btw, how do you even measure to the front bumper bracket hole since it's oblong. Center? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My car is a 73 so it might be different since it has the crash bumper. It measures 12.12 to the center of the weld nut that is located in the center of the slotted hole. The two frame diagrams show two different figures. One shows 12.38" the other diagram (same one that shows the rear measurement at 15.03") shows the bumper hole at 11.91.

  • Thanks 1

Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For extra dimensions you might check with a local frame shop. Would need to be someone in business for a while. Great to see someone trying to do repairs correct.

 

  • Thanks 1

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Hi there looks great. A question does anyone know what that -10 on the base line represents. I measured mine a few years back came out really good. used a tram gauge, ruler, level, plumb bob, and frame hanging gauges.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/26/2021 at 8:37 AM, IA Rider said:

16116679992957910532447518940280.thumb.jpg.770dfae7aaba59cbf0c81024873dd2a1.jpg16116681005094061758255598290795.thumb.jpg.10d5dd42d121d564c84097ecfe8846ed.jpgYes  the steering and idle arm matched at 15.87" and 10.4". 15.03" at the rear spring perch.

Nice looking jig. Do you recall the overall length of it?? 

Kevin
1971 Mach 1

408C Stroker - C4 w/3,000 stall - 8.8" Rear w/3.73's - Disc brakes all way around.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In reference to the 10. That might be the Zero point that Ford used in design. They set a zero in XYZ directions and the car is designed from those so all the engineers work from same point. Not 100% on that but would be my guess. If you need to buy some gauges go to autobodytoolmart.com they carry all the gauges and frame straightening equipment and tools.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/20/2021 at 7:30 AM, turtle5353 said:

Nice looking jig. Do you recall the overall length of it?? 

The overall length is 159". As you can see in these pics it could be 3" shorter in the rear but if you plan to use the farthest forward bumper mounting hole it will need to be about 11" longer in the front.20210423_105910.thumb.jpg.5ff7575baf1a6a0e57be6c9d667d8d34.jpg20210423_105708.thumb.jpg.1598e38234ddb2fd1c7180c68615441b.jpg20210423_105721.thumb.jpg.e13ca4c7e90a32a1ebbb70650d643030.jpg20190103_110026.thumb.jpg.4293c01a4237ec956e3314bd49eb673f.jpg

  • Like 1

Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/26/2021 at 1:37 PM, IA Rider said:

16116679992957910532447518940280.thumb.jpg.770dfae7aaba59cbf0c81024873dd2a1.jpg

I've been keeping an eye on this build thread, some great inspiration on how to tackle substantial repairs!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Summer Raffle 2021!

    Get your Summer 2021 Raffle Entries NOW!!

    Click the button below to go to our forum donation page and select your choice of 1 entry for $5 or 5 entries for $20 from the donation dropdown menu!

    Buy Now!
×
×
  • Create New...