Black and Silver Seat upholstery anyone?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
429CJ, 4 Speed, 3.25 Traction Lock N case, A/C, P/W, tilt, fold down seats, int. wipers, deluxe interior.
next fun project is my seats! Got one seat torn down. Have some welding that’s needed on the lower frame. 

im also in the market for black seat upholstery. The silver stripe would be cool. 
seems to be everyone is put 10 weeks or so. Anyone have any new lying around in their storage? 

either way! Glad to be getting this done and excited to hopefully get some new stuff soon! 

462D74D3-C34D-414F-A1BB-18A35301A25C.jpeg

24FC467E-A226-439F-BC49-4B28C12ADD95.jpeg

8A22F7F0-96E6-49E3-AB53-04666578E3F6.jpeg

CD030A87-A8A2-4FB6-B5EE-D37AA5B54114.jpeg

22EDAF02-F23F-446D-980F-BDB91FE50730.jpeg

If you can, have your welder do more than just weld the cracks up. Have them weld in some corner braces that prevent the rear of the pan from tearing downwards, and some 45 degree gussets on each side to stop the pan from flexing which can make the rear tearing even worse. Being a welder myself I did these couple things and now my seats are very durable. This is also a good time to straighten the back-rests. The driver side usually twists toward the door. Good luck!! 

20170211_120955.jpg

In my car, I have black Mach 1 seat covers with the silver stripe. I had the outer side panel on the driver seat replaced because I could not find a new cover in black with the silver accent. I could only find black with grey. I could have bought those and painted the stripes with SEM silver upholstery paint. Actually, I did buy some paint to touch up some ware and I found that the stripes appeared to be grey underneath. So it makes me wonder if the makers just dye (or paint) some colors.

You could buy black/grey and repaint the accent stripes if it comes down to it. I agree the silver stripes do look cool, whereas the grey looks dull, especially in my car which is Light Pewter.

If you can, have your welder do more than just weld the cracks up. Have them weld in some corner braces that prevent the rear of the pan from tearing downwards, and some 45 degree gussets on each side to stop the pan from flexing which can make the rear tearing even worse. Being a welder myself I did these couple things and now my seats are very durable. This is also a good time to straighten the back-rests. The driver side usually twists toward the door. Good luck!! 

View attachment 48314
Perfect! I was gunna ask how others have reinforced it. I will show him these pics! 

While in there you can take the seat tracks apart. There is a leaf spring the keeps the upper and lower track from coming apart. If you hold that spring down you can pull them apart. Be somewhere to catch all the ball bearings, lol. 8 in each track if I remember right. Two big rollers also. Once apart you can really clean them up. Sad thing is the ball bearings wear low spots that you cannot do much about unless you want to weld and grind. One track has Manganese Phosphate coating and other is painted. The ball bearings will be rusty and you can get new at hardware 1/4" dia. I seem to recall the rollers are 3/4". As with all mechanism I use the Lucas Oil Red-N-Tacky #2 to lube them up. The tracks usually have cracks that need weld also.

Back