Door hinge plate question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinnie

Project manager "Project AmsterFoose"
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V, built on the very last production day (July 6, 1973) for Grande's.
Hey guys,

Today I removed my drivers side door and found this rusty mess:

IMG_4613.JPG

I think it looks worse than it actually is. I need to drill out a snapped off bolt though and noticed that the plate that the bolts go in is loose.

How is the plate fixed in place and can it be accessed and/or removed/replaced?

Cheers,
Vincent.

The plates are not attached they need to float to allow alignment of the door. If you look on the inside you will see a couple folded over tabs that keep the plates in a pocket. Move the tabs and take the plates out. I run tap in all of mine. The original bolts were self taping that is why they are so tight and break.
That is how I hurt my back couple weeks ago. Was taking a door off.

I didn’t realize they were self tapping—thanks for that info David.  I sure knew they were a pain in the a...  Well you know what I mean, hard to remove and to install.  Never broken one though—yet, knock on wood.

I had my two teenage boys help with door installation and alignment.  I have never had helpers before, it was awesome.  I also use a floor jack well padded at the balance point of the door, so my helpers just had to steady and shift the door while I fought with hinge bolts.  

They are easy to remove.  The ones in the doors are captive, and require bending a tab to get them out.  However the ones in the A pillar just use gravity to keep them in place.  Remove the kick panel and reach in there.  Lift them up about 5/8" then pull them out.  Once you get them out I'd douse that plate with the broken bolt in penetrating oil.  In my experience once you get the plates out the back of the broken bolt is protruding enough to capture it securely in a bench vise, then unthread the plate from the broken bolt.  Hope that helps.  If you need to clean up the thread they are 5/16-18

My car was on the rotisserie so jack would not go high enough. If you look at the bolts and feel of them you will see they are tapered and not round so they tap when going in. I do run tap in and put never seize on the bolts going back in. It was not to lock them in just a cost reduction. We ran some parts that got tapped in the punch press. Used a roll form tap so no chips. Could run tapped parts at 60 strokes per minute. On lawn equipment most are self tapping.

Oh that's good news that the ones in the A-pillar can be removed so easily! I'll have a look tomorrow then.

If I were to bend a tab inside the door to remove the plates there, is the tab likely to break? Any particular one to bend if possible at all?

Thanks
Vincent.

Back