• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

1971 Convertible parting out

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
1971 Mustang Mach I
1972 Mexican GT-351
1971 Mustang Convertible
1988 Bronco II
1970 Torino 4 door
I am keeping the interior rear quarter trim panels, the A/C ducting, kick panels, w/s wiper mechanism and probably a few other odds and ends.  Standard grille appears to be in good shape.  Here's the rub...it is winter here in MO and the car is on my lift with my Mexican Mustang underneath it.  Rear seat bottom and back are rusted thru in some spots.  Pulling parts from it IS a priority however i am not parking the other Mustang outside in the rain/snow so i would ask that you be patient.  It has the HTF rear hood and fender trim but it is very plain jane (302 2V, manual drums, auto, interior is sad, dude let it sit in a field for WAY too long)

20210120_104522.jpg

20210120_150714.jpg

20210120_150721.jpg

20210120_150737.jpg

20210120_150800.jpg

20210120_182005.jpg

20210120_182040.jpg

I need the rear panel in front of the trunk lid, between the convertible top opening and the trunk. It connects between the 2 quarter panels.

Mine is rusted thru in a couple of places for some odd reason.

I need the rear panel in front of the trunk lid, between the convertible top opening and the trunk. It connects between the 2 quarter panels.

I am thinking that may be one of only a handful of sheet metal parts not rusted thru. When I can lower the lift I will take some pics and sho you what it is like there

I am thinking that may be one of only a handful of sheet metal parts not rusted thru. When I can lower the lift I will take some pics and sho you what it is like there
Ok, thanks. That's the weirdest part rusted on this car. The cowl is also rusted but that's from pine needles that weren't removed. I've been searching for this panel for a while.

Can you post some pics of the "Hockey Sticks" (pot metal pieces that go around the well?
Thats the best I have right now. I recall they are kinda messed up. Will try to get a better pic

20210120_150744.jpg

20210120_150728.jpg

That is the best pic I have right now. Car is on the lift.

20210131_155855.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The filler panel between rear window and trunk is very common place for rust. Since the cars were not dipped there is nothing inside the panel to stop rust. Also if they sealer was not applied perfect just a pin hole lets water in from the rain gutter there. I have a California car and that was only place that had rust. I cleaned it up and brushed on some POR and new seam sealer. I had a parts car from Michigan that had zero rust in that panel that I used on another build.

I need the window regulators and assoc. parts to make the rear 1/4 windows work. Need them to work smoothly. 
What other parts do you need when you say associated parts? Mine are complete and do work but I may need some of the small parts since I am uncertain what I am missing. Sooooo....feel free to see if MikeG has what you need.

Back