Standard hood with center section raised like a NACA / NASA?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71' Grande project.
I am considering spending a couple weekends and actually making a cowl hood like this.  This is just a rough idea, used a lot of tape and flat paint to get an idea what it would look like.  This is a standard hood with the center section over the air cleaner raised 1 1/2”

CA84FDF9-F7E1-4B4A-B9B7-9E701B043477.jpeg

Looks like you have put a fair amount of work into the mock-up, and I am sure it will look cool when done, but I am wondering if it wouldn’t be easier to start with a NASA hood and fill in the duct areas?  Is this much higher?  

I myself am partial to the NASA hood - swapped my flat hood for it and am very happy - but I loved the 69 cowl induction hood on my 67 Camaro too. I really like the ducts on the NASA hood, but if someone didn’t I would get it... but I think the hood’s modified lines are an improvement as well and that if one wanted a smooth, raised hood, it might be easier and look more like it came that way if you “filled in” the duct cutouts. Or even made side facing ones like a mopar. I kinda like the ones on a Roadrunner/Satellite Sebring Plus...

74CB3421-4089-451C-A9A3-BDE15BBB4623.jpeg

I set the mock up on the car.  We’ll see if I stick with the idea.  I am not confident that I can butt weld that much sheetmetal and end up with a finished product that I am happy with.  Currently I really like the way it looks, but I may end up going with a NACA / NASA hood out of practicality.

D0602298-C5D1-4B40-9C56-8904B47654DD.jpeg

CB9F0880-6339-4B9C-8BD7-8181F60E42CF.jpeg

987FCA6B-5A8F-4A8B-94D9-DC9EECCF6657.jpeg

I think it looks pretty good, and has a pretty subtle rise that looks like it could have been factory. 

Why not try?  If it doesn’t work, you go NASA and no harm. If it works, you have something unique and a source of creative pride. 

You went this far—I think it is worth going forward.  I think it looks interesting and is kind of cool to see something different than the NACA hood.  

I like it. Great idea.  You will be surprised how easy that will weld up with sheetmetal fillers in there. The welds will be on the corners, so you will have a lot less chance of warping the hood.   Tack some pieces in there and see what it looks like.  I personally like the overall design and idea. Something different. 

145514911_10221194357345873_8461698539122580058_n.jpg

Saw this good looking baby this morning and thought about your plan.  I think your more flat, starting at the front idea should look very nice. Almost like an option that could have been offered in 71-73.
Good luck!

I dunno, if it was me I'd bring the raised part all the way back to the windshield, like a true cowl hood.  Maybe not exactly like this cause you can make the lines more match our car, but this is the basic idea.

cer-136_a5bfab0d.jpg

I dunno, if it was me I'd bring the raised part all the way back to the windshield, like a true cowl hood.  Maybe not exactly like this cause you can make the lines more match our car, but this is the basic idea.

That is what I plan on doing.  I am waiting on some dies for my bead roller and some sheetmetal to show up.  Maybe not that exaggerated of a induction hood but I will take the raised section back to the wipers.

Update:

Trying to get 20 gauge steel sheet of any size near me is proving to be a challenge.  For whatever reason the thinnest the local steel distributors seem to carry is 18 gauge.  I ended up ordering one full sheet from a place about 50 miles from me.  Hopefully it gets delivered to them next week and I’l get back to fooling with the cowl hood.

In other news my NASA hood showed up from Summit Racing without any damage, which is nothing short of a miracle.  If I can’t make up a cowl hood I am happy with- the nasa is my backup plan.

Odd that you could not find the metal anywhere. What did you order CR-1006 IF? Would be the the easiest to form. The low carbon and Interstitial Free has no grain.
When I was working I got our local tech school a free coil from where I worked. Obsolete part and had 20,000 lb. coil that was going to recycle. They donated to the school so they got full write off on cost. Uncoated CR-1006 ran about $.28 a lb. then.
A shot bag, bossing mallet and english wheel would make life easier.

Honestly I am not positive what I ordered.  I’m guessing 1008, but I’ll find out when I pick it up.  

This is the first time I have used this supplier, and they had to get the sheet from Portland OR.  Living in a rural area 200 miles away from any major city has its advantages and disadvantages.

Back