1973 Vert driver's power window not working

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mustang_maria73

Reaction score
My Car
'73 q code convertible 4 spd

Let me start with I'm a beginner and have minimal knowledge but am willing to try.  My driver's side front power window stopped working when it was down.  I took the panel off so I could see what was going on and to lift my window back into the up position (had a little furry friend want to take up residence with the window down).  I disconnected the power and pulled the glass back up.  Connected it again to test it and I can hear the motor try to work.  Looking down through the door when I do this, I can see the gear isn't moving.  Do I need a new motor or just a gear?  I was trying to get the motor out to look at it closer but couldn't figure out to do it. I looked all over the door and it appears welded or I don't know the trick to get at the motor.  HOW in the world do I get the the motor out?  Please provide specific details if you can.  I also see a date on the current motor (4/15/02) so it appears that the motor has been replaced once at least. 

Also, when I took the panel off and was looking at the window electrical connections there is a red connector not plugged into anything.  I'm guessing it should be.  See pics. What does it go to? Should I be concerned? Thoughts?

I would greatly appreciate any help with this!  

73 stang red connector unplugged.jpg

73 stang door.jpg

The red connector is part of the stereo speaker harness.  If you don't have speakers in the doors, the harness is unused.  No need to worry about it. 

About the motor - there are three plastic cylinders inside the window drive mechanism that are almost 50 years old now.  They are sort of a mechanical fuse, as they are designed to break if something gets stuck in the window opening when trying to raise the glass - like an arm or kids head.  At least that's what I have heard....  They are most likely no longer cylinders due to age  The original grease isn't in too good of shape either.  The grease and cylinders can be replaced pretty easily once you have the motor out of the door.  This can be a bit dangerous, as the lift mechanism has a spring on it to assist the motor during the lift phase, and the weight of the glass to assist in the lower phase.  When you remove the motor, you have to be careful of the rest of the parts that move.  Make sure you securely brace the window before you try to remove the motor.  You can get the cylinders from Don or NPD or any other parts supplier.  They are pretty cheap.  Clean out the mechanism well and replace the grease with a good all temperature lithium grease. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Like Mike noted, the gearing is a common failure point for these motors. They were used in millions of Ford vehicles well up into the late 90's, so parts are readily available. 

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1973,mustang,5.8l+351cid+v8,1132995,interior,power+window+motor+gear,10733

There are four bolts that hold the regulator in place, and one bracket to stabilize the motor. Block the window up, disconnect the plug and remove the bolts. Slide the roller out of the track on the window bracket. The whole regulator then needs to be snaked out through the large opening by the window guide rod. Be patient and you'll eventually find the angle to get it out. 

The motor is grounded through the regulator, direction is changed by applying 12V to the red or yellow wire, one causes it it raise the window, the other to lower. 

Use white lithium or silicone grease on the track, internal gearing and guide rod. Don't use a petroleum based grease here as it will attack the plastic parts. 

Your 73 factory shop manual will have all the specific adjustments and the assembly/disassembly procedures. 

7173_door_window.jpg

Thanks Mike & Hemikiller.  This helps a lot. Any opinion on one manufacturer over another for the parts?  Dorman, ACI, Cardone?  What's the best way to block the window up?  

I have several power  window cars. The best  grease to use is lucas oil Red N Tacky #2 Way better than the old white       grease.  Dorman is  great supplier.                                                                                 

Here are the three pages from the Ford Shop Manual regarding extracting the front power window motor and gear assembly.  This is showing the passenger side, but just mirror it for the driver's side.

However, there have been many others down this path before and most have removed the assembly without the need to drill out holes to access the bolts.  There are several threads.

1973 Power Window (1).jpg

1973 Power Window (2).jpg

1973 Power Window (3).jpg

Back