Proportioning valve switch

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 "Q Code"
Got a question for the group, since I changed from front drum to power discs I am changing the proportioning valve as well. The new valve has the light switch connector with only 1 pin, my original and the harness have 2 pin connector. Can I just swap the switch from the old to the new or buy just the 2 pin switch and change them out or do I need to send this one back and get a new valve with the 2 pin connector? Thanks.

Tom

The only Ford Mustang proportioning valve switch with one pin was from 1967.  You might be using the wrong valve, or an aftermarket valve.

You need to do some research and find out what the purpose of the switch is. In the stock proportion valve it is a pressure differential switch that turns the warning light on in the dash when there is a pressure difference in the dual (front and rear) brake system. In some aftermarket valves it is just a pressure switch that turns the brake lights on when the brake pedal is pushed. On our cars the brake light switch is on the brake pedal arm.

The instructions that came with the valve should tell you what the function is. The ones that have a pressure differential valve are also called a combination valve, meaning they are a proportioning valve and a dual brake warning switch.

Thanks Don. Unfortunately there were no instructions in the box. The description calls it a "Combination Valve" Here is a link to it.  

https://www.cjponyparts.com/cj-classics-combination-valve-disc-drum-brake-aluminum-chrome/p/BCV12/

Any further thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tom
The description states "Includes a brake light switch that uses a GM style plug" which tells me this is not a pressure differential switch. When I was looking at proportioning valves I found that all the non-stocks unfortunately only offer a light switch. I have a Wilwood that I left the switch disconnected and kept the stock pedal switch. In any case, the pressure differential switch only works when you press on the pedal so it is too late then anyways to know that your brakes don't work.

Last edited by a moderator:
The warning switch is activated only when one side fails. It will most likely be the rear brakes that fail due to rust-out of the line running to the rear. So, when the warning light is on you should still have either the front or rear. If they both fail the warning light will remain off. 

One of these would probably work better, unless you want an adjustable valve.

COMBINATION VALVE, BRASS - #2B091-20BB - National Parts Depot (npdlink.com)

Thanks everyone for the replies. This one will probably be going back and I will continue with my search to find a better solution. I appreciate the responses and learned something new.

Tom

I'm not sure if this is a help or not with your system, but when I did my conversion using the SSBC 4 piston calipers, the kit came with an adjustable rear control valve and plugs to block off the rear circuit in the distribution block. It now only works as a junction for the two front brake lines. In this case, the idiot light "emergency" switch became redundant and is no longer connected. As Tony mentioned, by the time you see the light, it's too late anyway and I can certainly attest to that fact.

I never bothered to look for an alternative distribution block that would work with the adjustable valve for the rear. But, if you feel better with that connected, don't let me stop you. Just make sure you have the correct functioning one for your needs.

The ideal situation would be to have a low brake fluid level light. So if there is a break in the circuit and the fluid empties out you could figure it out before you drive. I have pondered the idea of modifying my Wilwood MC lid to add a float switch to connect to the original "idiot" light. I even bought the float switch but not on top of my to do list at this time.

The ideal situation would be to have a low brake fluid level light. So if there is a break in the circuit and the fluid empties out you could figure it out before you drive. I have pondered the idea of modifying my Wilwood MC lid to add a float switch to connect to the original "idiot" light. I even bought the float switch but not on top of my to do list at this time.
 Now THAT would be a good idea so you know if there is a leak in the system. Unfortunately, it would still not be a benefit should a line actually burst, as happened to me in my red 72 Mach back in around 1981.

Now THAT would be a good idea so you know if there is a leak in the system. Unfortunately, it would still not be a benefit should a line actually burst, as happened to me in my red 72 Mach back in around 1981.
You would need a fortune teller for that  :biggrin: . Since these rust from the inside, it is hard to tell without replacing them and then replacing the brake fluid often. Unfortunately, brake fluid is like a sponge for water. Eventually, the water over time will rot the inside of the tubing.

The idea is to Frankestein this:

330-12646-med.jpg

onto this:

wil-330-8573_lg_xl.jpg

You would need a fortune teller for that  :biggrin: . Since these rust from the inside, it is hard to tell without replacing them and then replacing the brake fluid often. Unfortunately, brake fluid is like a sponge for water. Eventually, the water over time will rot the inside of the tubing.
Yes indeed Tony, that's exactly what happened, the line blew outward, but looked fine on the outside. Fortunately, I was slowed up enough that I was able to not hit anyone going through a red light which was literally 20 yards from my driveway and I was able to pull in. Scared the living heck out of me!

Ok and now back to the program! 

With a  properly operating dual master cylinder if one end (front or back) fails the other end will still be operational. If it's the front brakes that fail, just using rear brakes can be exciting, but they will stop the vehicle.

Brake warning lights work fine is you have a slight leak, brake line or fitting, or a wheel cylinder. However, the only time I've had a failure was all at once when a rusty brake line failed, on a '64 F100 and it had only a single master cylinder, and a warning light would not have worked. It didn't take me long to find a suitable dual master cylinder and convert it to a dual system.

That said, I think Tony's idea of a float level switch is a good one. There may be a better way of installing floats in your Wilwood master cylinder, though.  You can source a float from a vehicle in a salvage yard, a lot of them use floats, some use sensors that would require additional electronics. I believe that Hondas is one that uses floats.

Or, get something like this, easier to install although not as slick looking, due to the wires coming straight up out of the top:

littelfuse_reed_sensors_59630_datasheet.pdf.pdf

You can get them for less than $7 each.

59630-1T02A - Littelfuse - 59630 1T02A FLOAT SENSOR ROHS COMPLIANT: YES (newark.com)

With a  properly operating dual master cylinder if one end (front or back) fails the other end will still be operational. If it's the front brakes that fail, just using rear brakes can be exciting, but they will stop the vehicle.

Brake warning lights work fine is you have a slight leak, brake line or fitting, or a wheel cylinder. However, the only time I've had a failure was all at once when a rusty brake line failed, on a '64 F100 and it had only a single master cylinder, and a warning light would not have worked. It didn't take me long to find a suitable dual master cylinder and convert it to a dual system.

That said, I think Tony's idea of a float level switch is a good one. There may be a better way of installing floats in your Wilwood master cylinder, though.  You can source a float from a vehicle in a salvage yard, a lot of them use floats, some use sensors that would require additional electronics. I believe that Hondas is one that uses floats.

Or, get something like this, easier to install although not as slick looking, due to the wires coming straight up out of the top:

littelfuse_reed_sensors_59630_datasheet.pdf.pdf

You can get them for less than $7 each.

59630-1T02A - Littelfuse - 59630 1T02A FLOAT SENSOR ROHS COMPLIANT: YES (newark.com)
Those bulkhead ones are good since the hole will have to be smaller. Thank you. I still need to figure out the length of the float rod. I have one from the lower unit oil of my boat that would be cool except that it is designed to work from the bottom up instead than from the top cap down.

Not to keep going off topic here, but after @Don C shared the link for the level switches.  I did some research and called one of the fluid level manufacturers. I was recommended to use the Madison M8000 switch (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00909404Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Being so cheap, I got one right away. Last night after taking measurements and making sure it would work I decided to take the plunge and drilled the cover. The MC has a bladder gasket between the cap and tank that I needed to account for. I drilled, tapped, put a spacer and I think I am in business. I will connect it between the idiot light dual wires and ground. In this way, the light should turn on for a test before cranking. The way it is right now, if the level goes down by ~1/8" it will turn on. It may be an issue when cornering or hard breaking so I won't know until I test. I have it in the forward reservoir that feeds the front brakes. However, the Wilwood MC has a little hole interconnecting both tanks about half way up the tank so if the rears leak it will drain some fluid from the front. Something I would like to add is some type of sealer between the rod of the level switch and the bladder. Does anyone know of a sealer that would work with brake fluid?

20210222_235223.jpg

20210222_235254.jpg

20210223_000015.jpg

Back