I changed to tilt column a long time ago, maybe 30 years or so.  I have taken it out once or twice since then to work on the dash etc.  If you look in the Ford service chassis manual on re-installing, there is a spacing requirement for the rag joint.  I used a drill bit of the right diameter as a spacer gage when I re-installed it.  Also, when you install the steering wheel on it, I think there are alignment marks on the factory steering wheel and end of the column shaft to line up.  This should get you close to not needing to adjust your toe in/ toe out to have the steering wheel in the correct position when going straight down the road.  

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You'll need the steering coupler assembly. On the fixed column the upper part of the coupler is welded to the shaft and on the tilt column they bolt to the shaft. Make sure it's for a power steering b

The input shaft for the power box is 13/16" diameter, the manual box is 3/4", both have 36 splines.

For those looking at a tilt column never buy one without the coupling, plate that clamps to the floor and not working. Will cost you double to piece one together. Get everything or step away from the

Posted Images

To continue my thoughts on why the difference in the couplers for fixed and tilt. I agree they could have put the same type of coupler on the fixed column as on the tilt. It would not be possible to have the weld-on upper coupler on the tilt column due  to the way they are assembled and disassembled for repairs. Not putting the tilt style of upper coupler on the fixed column was just a matter of economics. A stamped steel upper coupler that can be welded to the steering shaft in a couple of minutes is much cheaper than a cast part that then has to be machined before it can be installed on the fixed steering shaft.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

11 hours ago, Don C said:

To continue my thoughts on why the difference in the couplers for fixed and tilt. I agree they could have put the same type of coupler on the fixed column as on the tilt. It would not be possible to have the weld-on upper coupler on the tilt column due  to the way they are assembled and disassembled for repairs. Not putting the tilt style of upper coupler on the fixed column was just a matter of economics. A stamped steel upper coupler that can be welded to the steering shaft in a couple of minutes is much cheaper than a cast part that then has to be machined before it can be installed on the fixed steering shaft.

Don, you probably hit the nail on the head there, money. Thanks for your thoughts. 

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!