Steering column bearing sizes

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
I need to rebuild my steering column.  The bearings are clearly shot, as the shaft feels gritty at the top and wobbles around a lot at the bottom.  I am trying to figure out what bearings I need for the rebuild.  I can find bearings for the 73 fixed column, but it doesn't say upper or lower.  Are the upper and lower the same size?  What about the foam spacer and the plastic bearing retainers?  I'd sure appreciate some help.  

Thanks,

Thanks, Bentworker!  That would make sense.  That may be why they just say 73 fixed column and don't say upper or lower.  I searched for a diagram, but couldn't find one.  I will pull it apart in the next day or so, and make a shopping list of the parts that need replacement.  

The weekend I took apart my steering column was a “smartphone free” weekend, so the only info I captured was with a pencil and paper.

Taking apart the column isn’t all that hard. The bearing is retained on the shaft with circlips.  The OD of the bearing is held in a rubber cup which is sandwiched between the inner and outer steering column sections.  One thing I have noticed is that the inner race of the bearing fits over a knurled part of the steering shaft.  On my car it was a sloppy fit and required that I replace the upper shaft.  

DE7310FD-6322-494F-9DED-42CD703A01FA.jpeg

Back