In tank fuel pump for Sniper efi

73429mach

Does anyone know if a in tank stock fuel pump housing hanger from a Fox body Mustang would work in the 71-73 fuel tank, where the vapor return line goes on top of the tank? If so, would it work with the Holley Sniper Efi? Like this one Part image 

1973 Mach 1, Porsche Guards Red, 429/C6

1972 Mach 1, Grabber Blue, 302/C4, currently under construction

No personal experience but just looking at it the lines and electrical connector look to tall to fit under the trunk floor. There isn't a lot of room between the top of the tank and the trunk floor.

73 conv. 460, D0VE large valve heads, Performer RPM manifold, Voodoo 227/233 cam, Holley 950 HP carb, C6 trans, 3.25 trak-loc.

Like TommyK mentioned there isnt much room above the tank in that spot. I went with a hyperfuel kit which is likely a little shorter than the one in your pic, but even still I had to cut an access in my trunk to make it work. Now with that said my trunk floor wasnt in perfect shape anyways, and even when I redo it I will likely keep the access since it will make life better if I ever have to pull the pump (which I have had to do while troubleshooting). Im half way through making a door for it that will have some weatherstripping and a quicklatch to hold it shut. Otherwise if it fits that would likely be a nice way of doing it. I went with the Hyperfuel because it is internally regulated so I didnt need to run a return line. 

20200627_200236.jpg

Edited by MKSpeedlab
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I duplicated this

No need to cut the trunk floor. My car is still in a million pieces though so no idea how it'll work.

Another option to consider.

Matt

17 hours ago, Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs said:

Noticed in the pic that you had a space saver spare but not a fold down. So your car must have came with Magnum 500 wheels. You got space saver spare with them.

Any car optioned with F60-15 tires received the space saver spare, whether it was the plain steel wheel or the Magnum. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I found these videos on youtube, looks like this could be an option. The foxbody unit seems to have enough clearance on the top of the tank, just need to know if it would work with the Holley Sniper.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=71-73+mustang+efi+fuel+tank&docid=608021125539772944&mid=55C4F14D6B50BAC4A63D55C4F14D6B50BAC4A63D&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=71-73+mustang+efi+fuel+tank&docid=608052294114556508&mid=126CCAD5C88A4B195739126CCAD5C88A4B195739&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Edited by 73429mach

1973 Mach 1, Porsche Guards Red, 429/C6

1972 Mach 1, Grabber Blue, 302/C4, currently under construction

There's a couple guys on some of the 71-73 FB groups have used the Fox pump setup for EFI. You do have to futz with the lines to clear the trunk floor. 

On 3/14/2021 at 8:37 AM, Hemikiller said:

Any car optioned with F60-15 tires received the space saver spare, whether it was the plain steel wheel or the Magnum. 

Ya if that was in regards to mine it did not come with the Magnum wheels, it had the deep dish hub caps. I have the space saver spare but the can that went with it is long gone so I will likely either fine a different spare for it, or have thought about using one of the tire goo/inflator kits. 

Two problems with retrofitting an in-tank EFI fuel pump, the lack of a sump or baffling to keep the intake continuously submerged in gas and removing the vent to the tank. Our cars do not have vented caps to comply with emissions and safety standards. You can get around the venting by installing a vented cap. Some universal EFI pumps have a small sump, like this one:

Summit Racing SUM-250151 Summit Racing® Retrofit In-Tank Fuel Pumps | Summit Racing

Aeromotive is a good option, but very pricey. 

1971 FORD MUSTANG Aeromotive 18169 Aeromotive Gen II Stealth Fuel Tanks | Summit Racing

McRobb and FiTech have under-the-hood surge tanks, but hard to find a place for them, and not a lot cheaper than than the Aeromotive tank.

Edited by Don C

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

On 3/9/2021 at 5:57 PM, mjlan said:

I duplicated this

No need to cut the trunk floor. My car is still in a million pieces though so no idea how it'll work.

Another option to consider.

That did not work for me so a local shop mod'ed a new Tanks Inc for me.