• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

4 speed coversion

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcollins

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
1970 Torino GT
2008 Mustang GT
Looking for all the parts necessary to convert car to a manual. I’m talking pedals, supports and brackets.   Also looking for a bell housing for a 429. Not sure what this stuff costs.  I’m sure I’m going to be shocked. I live in Missouri. 71 Mach 1. 

There was a member that had for sale this fall. I would guess it will be around $2,000 if you get everything from driveshaft to the crankshaft, Z bar, springs and all. If you try to buy piece at a time you will never get them all, lol.
Look around for a parts car also the 3 speed will have same pedals. Also check the insurance auctions for a crashed car.
BTW if PDB it is a different pedal set up so beware of manual brakes.
Dan Williams in Sylva, N.C. has been building Ford toploader for longer than anyone. He has adds to buy them in my area all the time. Google him also.
There are many different versions of the toploader and not all will fit in a 71-73.

On the pedals, keep an eye out for people parting out cars. When I did mine, I got the complete pedal assembly with both pedals for about $125-$150 from someone parting out their car on ebay. I picked up a bunch of other unrelated things as well. Also there's Scotty Strickland on Facebook that has a Mustang boneyard. I never got anything from him but he did seem to have a lot of stuff for sure.  

I have been doing this for my car and it does take time and persistence to collect up all of the parts you need.  The gearbox itself is probably the easiest, although the most expensive.  I would recommend buying one from a reputable rebuilder - it might cost more up front, but you only have to ship it once and you know you will be installing a known good part.  I have noticed that the entire z-bar setup is now being reproduced - from the clutch pedal to the clutch fork - for about $450.  This might be a good option as all of the used z-bars I have seen have egged out holes at the clutch fork pivot and most have egged out holes at the clutch pedal rod pivot.  Don't forget the clutch fork and boot.  As noted above, you will need a different pedal support brace and pedals.  These are not reproduced, but they are available - check with Don or eBay.  There are bushing kits and replacement clutch pedal springs and pedal pads, so as long as you get the correct brake pedal (manual vs power brakes - the location of the post for the master cylinder actuator rod are in different locations).  You will need a shifter.  Original Hurst shifters can be crazy expensive or not - so it pays to be patient.  There are rebuild kits for these as well or you can send them to Hurst for refresh.  Don't forget a shifter boot and fascia to replace your auto trans shifter.  Finally, there is a different wiring harness for the reverse switch on the shifter.  Midlife may be able to help out with the harness if eBay can't.  These harnesses and switches are being reproduced.

Back