Trunk Lip

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M Beauchamp

Reaction score
My Car
1973 light blue convertible
351c 2V
When i striped the paint off my trunk which looked decent, this is what i found full of spot puddy.

Out trunk Lip.JPG

The inside lip is decent there is a bit of rust in the fold.

Inner Trunk Lip.JPG

What i am thinking of doing is re-skinning the bottom 1 1/2" on the out side.

Or

I could butt weld a patch from the outside, then pour rust coverter down the inside of the fold, then pour rust encapsulator down the inside of the fold.

100_2765.JPG

100_2764.JPG

100_2762.JPG

100_2761.JPG

I am worried about it being thinned out in other spots and rust popping threw later

Treat the rust, stop the rest, seal the rust... fill the bad spots, and paint it.

Or

Get a new trunk lid if you would prefer to have no filler.

(If you pick option 2, 'how much' for the one in the picture + shipping to 76904?) ;) :D

When i striped the paint off my trunk which looked decent, this is what i found full of spot puddy.

The inside lip is decent there is a bit of rust in the fold.

What i am thinking of doing is re-skinning the bottom 1 1/2" on the out side.

Or

I could butt weld a patch from the outside, then pour rust coverter down the inside of the fold, then pour rust encapsulator down the inside of the fold.
You need to "unfold the lip " There's more rust than you are seeing. Then bead blast the entire lip..inner skin & frame where the lip folds over..I would then apply rust bullet to the entire inner structure..Then you can make your patch & butt weld...I'd be inclined to replace that lid with a new aftermarket one I hear they fit pretty good...Thats not such an easy repair to do correctly . Rust converter / encapsulation are a waste of time & money. By the time you factor in the materials & labor it will cost more than buying a new one.

I am very interested to find out how the repro trunk lids fit on the fastback. I have been looking for a good solid rust free original for the past 6 months without much luck. They all appear to rust in the same area. Mine is not bad, very similiar to yours, but I do not want anything coming through my new paint job. Please let me know if you buy a repro and how it fits? They always need a little tweaking, but hopefully not much. Pay close attention to your replacement if you are going for original. They made an engineering change from 72 to 73 on how they install the trunck latch. 71 through sometime in 72 have a slot cut between the latch and the front edge where the 73 does not.

I am very interested to find out how the repro trunk lids fit on the fastback. I have been looking for a good solid rust free original for the past 6 months without much luck. They all appear to rust in the same area. Mine is not bad, very similiar to yours, but I do not want anything coming through my new paint job. Please let me know if you buy a repro and how it fits? They always need a little tweaking, but hopefully not much. Pay close attention to your replacement if you are going for original. They made an engineering change from 72 to 73 on how they install the trunck latch. 71 through sometime in 72 have a slot cut between the latch and the front edge where the 73 does not.
71 - early 72 did not have the lock clip slot

Late 72 - 73 has the slot.

Trunk lock clip goes into the slot and gets rivited in place.

Don't know if it was...

1- to make it harder to pry out the lock.

2- to save the lock installers from getting cut on the sheet metal.

Knowing the Ford bean counters, I think number 2 as it would save downtime and workers comp claims.

New repro trunk lids

Coupe / convertible ones, fit finish is OK, way better then fixing rot

Fastback ones, very good fit

Don

I bought a repo fastback lid and it fit like a charm. I believe I got it from CJ's. No issues what so ever.

Have 10 or so in stock

Item #TL20-71

71-73 TRUNK LID, FASTBACK

Reproduction trunk lid, nice heavy gauge like original and excellent fit. Price: $134.95

I just bought one from Don. and was truly impressed when I opened the box. The thing is flawless and is a very stable piece, not made of tissue paper. Thanks Don!!

On your repair,, Can you BRAZE? It'll work good and be quicker than a butt patch.

I pulled it a part, blasted it, cleaned up nice, the skin is all pitted right where the seams meet.

I patched the bottom 1 1/2" but its really hard to keep the the sheet metal real flat.

It would be fine with a bit of filler, but i dont want any fill in the car when i am done.

So it looks like i am going to buy a new lid.

A repo trunk Lid at CJ Pony, is $135 and that includes shipping. Saves alot of time and effort

I pulled it a part, blasted it, cleaned up nice, the skin is all pitted right where the seams meet.

I patched the bottom 1 1/2" but its really hard to keep the the sheet metal real flat.

It would be fine with a bit of filler, but i dont want any fill in the car when i am done.

So it looks like i am going to buy a new lid.
I have 73 trunk lid.

parts car doors 014.jpg

Back