tilt steering column

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copestang

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
installing a 71 steering tilt in my 73 fastback, changing ignition switch and turn signal to 73, and changing the rag joint and steering box. do need anything else?  and do install the rag joint on the column or  steering box, using Lares 219 rag joint 

It really shouldn't need to be spread out. Did you check the other end to see if it fit on the steering shaft?

It may be the wrong coupler. The coupler for the manual box is 1/16" smaller with the same number of splines (36) and even if you spread it out it won't fit because the splines are spaced differently.

That said, I would try to spread it out a little, to see if it fits.

What is the diameter of that shaft coming out of the steering column?  Also, is the side of the shaft opposite of the flat splined or smooth?

There might be a reason why West Coast Classic Cougars is charging $180 for a used tilt column steering coupler (rag joint)

You might try contacting this seller, I've bought from him and he has nice quality couplers. There's a good chance that this Double D will work with a Single D shaft, and it has the correct spline for the steering box input. I would ask him if it fits a Single D shaft. I would also verify that your steering shaft is 3/4" before ordering.

NEW STEERING RAG JOINT,13/16"-36 X 3/4" DD,DOUBLE D,BOX COUPLING ,SHAFT COUPLER | eBay

Edit: I'll take that back, I just looked at the Double D I bought from him and it WILL NOT work on a Single D shaft. I would still contact him, though, he might have access to the Single D upper half of the coupler.

Last edited by a moderator:
The connections on tilt is different than standard. They do not make a tilt rag joint assembly that I know of. I have 5 tilt columns and I get the new rubber off the Help rack at parts house, Dorman brand. I got the bolts and washes at NAPA. You drill out the rivets and go back with bolts and studs to interlock in case the rubber tears. If you ever buy a tilt column made sure you get the forgings for the connection. Like stated they are expensive.

i did spread it out a little and it fit, not sure what i’m going to do about column end 🤔 

Back