Field Destroy

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

da55

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Fastback 351 V8
Recently ordered a hood and received it with some rust spots. Contacted them and was told to "field destroy" it and send pictures, then ill get the new one sent. Anyone have any tips on this?

Thanks

+1 as above.  I just had to do that with a bad wideband O2 sensor. Had to cut the wires at the base of the sensor and then send AEM a picture before they would ship a new one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, being as we're all now telling stories about our "field destroy" experiences, here's mine. (I only recently dumped the pics of this incident, so no pics I'm afraid).

Back in Sept. 2017, I was out for a bicycle ride on my Giant TCR road race bike, when this f'n idiot pulled out of a driveway right in front of me. I was traveling at over 20 mph (32Khp). At that speed, I had almost no time to react and hit the car's rear end, throwing me off. Fortunately I was not hurt, but my 3000 + dollar bike suffered a fatal crack in the carbon frame. Giant's warranty is lifetime on frames and they replaced the frame, actually a totally new bike, with me paying half the cost, another 1500 bucks. To claim the warranty, my bike shop manager had to send pictures of the frame and it cut in pieces. He also had to send in the serial number tag.  

I'll not go into further details other than to say the Police did not (would not) charge the guy even though he was clearly at fault, so no insurance claim on his insurance. Without a charge, no civil case either. I did however get a great new bike that suits my older body with a replacement hip, better. Here's a pic of the "Grabber Lime" machine with my cat checking it out.

IMG_0044.1.JPG

WTF is wrong with the police not charging the guy!   That really sucks, but I am glad to hear you were able to get some recovery on the frame through warranty.  It’s pretty easy to spend $2,500 and up on a bike these days, in fact, anything under $2,500 wouldn’t.be worth owning from my perspective (I am a Mountain biker).  

Whoa, I got off topic....  Lay the hood on the driveway and park a wheel of your car in the middle, take a picture.  Done!

Last edited by a moderator:
WTF is wrong with the police not charging the guy!   That really sucks, but I am glad to hear you were able to get some recovery on the frame through warranty.  It’s pretty easy to spend $2,500 and up on a bike these days, in fact, anything under $2,500 wouldn’t.be worth owning from my perspective (I am a Mountain biker).  

Whoa, I got off topic....  Lay the hood on the driveway and park a wheel of your car in the middle, take a picture.  Done!
 To both; first, our local police are too damn lazy to want to do the paper work. Add to that, I'm pretty sure the "officer" knew the guy, so didn't want to cause problems. I talked to my son who is an OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) cop and he couldn't get involved obviously, but told me that it was up to the officer to charge or not. If I'd been hurt in any way, that would have been different. Actually, if I'd been a few feet closer, I would likely have hit the front of the vehicle and been thrown in front of an oncoming pickup. That driver stopped and was a witness, but that made no difference. Bottom line is I was unhurt and lived to ride another day. And yes, I love my new Giant Defy Advanced.

Second, good idea. 

Back