Lower door hinge replacement.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
2000 F250-SD
2001 H-D FLTR
2004 GMC Denali
The doors on my 71' Mach 1 will not stay open. A friend who works in a body shop came over and looked at the hinges. He stated that the pins are fine, but that the tensioners that holds the doors open is the issue.

I want to replace both lower hinges. I don't want to use an after market part produced outside of the U.S.

Is there a hinge replacement made in the U.S. that is of good quality and fit? 

I'm fine with purchasing a used oem hinges, but concerned about receiving hinges that may have the same problem or other issues.

I would appreciate hearing of what my options are.

Mike at Motor city mustang ( a vendor on this forum) might have some O.E used springs. Thats what I would use.......Good old USA made steel.

I have ordered a set of torsion bars for the lower door hinges. I informed my body and fender friend that I purchased the torsion bars, and not complete lower hinges.

He is concerned that the locations where the torsion bars attach could be worn.  

Are the locations where the torsion bars attach, and area that could have excessive where, and if so, is there a repair for this?  

There is very little movement at the points where the curled part of these springs contact so if they are well lubed same as the hinge pins, they should be fine.  My car was missing one on the driver's side but I could not find the torsion piece on its own - ended up with a used complete hinge and just took the spring out to swap over.  Job done.   If you have found the torsion spring alone, happy days.  They are a bit tricky to put in under load so be careful.

Have fun.

Update. Today I was able to remove and replace the torsion bar/spring in the lower hinge, drivers side. The actual removal and replacement went very smooth. However, the results were not impressive.  I'm assuming the two rollers, that interact with the spring, are worn. At this point I guess I will need to look for NOS left and right lower hinges.

So far, so good.  On my earlier reply, I didn't get into the roller alignment detail.  Mine were all seized up with old grease & gunk.   Again, not a lot of movement so should not be a wear problem.  Make sure they both move freely and the tension spring is in the right place.   There will be pics on here that you can refer to or someone will send one .  My car is sold otherwise I would do it for you.  Don't buy new hinges yet - keep working on what you have, you're getting close.

Thanks,

I'm trying to stay away from foreign parts. I understand the fitment is horrible.
I did say "if all else fails"...............

The more time passes, I realize just how lucky I was to find my car, totally rust free and nothing really needing to be replaced with the exception of the tail light panel that had been damaged at some point. I'm spoiled I guess.

I checked out the rollers that apply pressure to the spring. The rollers spin , and the pin that passes through them, securing them into the hinge, is secured. Could the cog be worn to the point that it is not applying enough pressure to the spring?  I've attached a photo of my hinge assembly.

IMG_1060.JPG

IMG_0974.JPG

I just took a quick look at mine, but as I can't open the door completely while it's in the garage, it's hard to say.  From what I can see, the cog things don't look that much different to yours. I'll be able to back the car out tomorrow and take a closer look if that helps. I'm thinking it may be out of adjustment somehow.

Back