Finally a new update video

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
429CJ, 4 Speed, 3.25 Traction Lock N case, A/C, P/W, tilt, fold down seats, int. wipers, deluxe interior.
Though it’s more of a video where I’m talking through a slideshow of my work I hope you still find it enjoyable. I promise to be better about filming! 

Great job on your restoration and documenting it.   It will give you a great sense of achievement once you are done and look back at what you started with and the work it took to get you to the finish. 

Another awesome video.  I love it when you post these. Great job. Keep up the good work. That's a ton of work to complete in a year but you are well on your way. 

Just a side note. I noticed in your pics of the rear of the car that your tail light panel still has the 8 holes across the bottom.  I believe those are for the bumper filler for a 73.  When you replace the tail panel on a 71 or 72 you need to weld those holes up before you paint. The aftermarket tail panel has the holes punched out for the 73's.  I did the same thing when I was restoring the yellow 71. I didn't notice until another member pointed it out to me. Thankfully the car was just in primer and I was able to weld them shut before it got painted. Here's a couple pics of what I'm talking about. 

2EF3DEB8-A15D-4258-A8C2-8857463BFC31.jpeg

B8EEEF50-77AF-430E-A94A-4834BD31DAF6.jpeg

E75EE27F-26CE-47D8-A0A7-A7B289AA5501.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Another awesome video.  I love it when you post these. Great job. Keep up the good work. That's a ton of work to complete in a year but you are well on your way. 

Just a side note. I noticed in your pics of the rear of the car that your tail light panel still has the 8 holes across the bottom.  I believe those are for the bumper filler for a 73.  When you replace the tail panel on a 71 or 72 you need to weld those holes up before you paint. The aftermarket tail panel has the holes punched out for the 73's.  I did the same thing when I was restoring the yellow 71. I didn't notice until another member pointed it out to me. Thankfully the car was just in primer and I was able to weld them shut before it got painted. Here's a couple pics of what I'm talking about. 

View attachment 48949

View attachment 48950

View attachment 48951
Thank you for all the tips and actually I believe it was a post of yours a while back where I saw this. I have in fact welded up those holes you mentioned, I should of made a comment about that because it’s a great note for those unaware. I did that the same evening the passenger seat base was welded in. 

Great job on your restoration and documenting it.   It will give you a great sense of achievement once you are done and look back at what you started with and the work it took to get you to the finish. 
Thank you so much and I agree. 
I know it’s an extremely ambitious goal, it’s sort of just a way to keep me focused and determined. It’s not the end of the world if I don’t meet it but so far I’ve been right on schedule of where I wanted to be. I think the only thing that will be holding me back it’s weird oddball parts missing and money to finish it haha! 

Thank you so much and I agree. 
I know it’s an extremely ambitious goal, it’s sort of just a way to keep me focused and determined. It’s not the end of the world if I don’t meet it but so far I’ve been right on schedule of where I wanted to be. I think the only thing that will be holding me back it’s weird oddball parts missing and money to finish it haha! 
Did you say money and finish!  With these cars there is always more money to spend on another thing needed so you can finish the car. At least that what I tell my wife.  :whistling:  

My last name is Jacobson, not Johnson.  But you can call me Mid, but don't call me late for dinner.

Otherwise, great video.

My last name is Jacobson, not Johnson.  But you can call me Mid, but don't call me late for dinner.

Otherwise, great video.
Dangit! Leave it to the one guy who gets his name messed up more than anyone to screw up an easy last name.  Apologies!!!

Wish I could sleep like that dog!

Did you replace the foam in your seats?

Did you replace the foam in your seats?
Is it that obvious? Hahah no I did not. 
they were in decent shape, and the upholstery guy added some skrim? I think he called it. I probably should of but that’s what I get for trying to save a buck 

Thanks for the update! The black car with the dog dishes is exactly the look I am after, too. I have them in a box, already cleaned, ready for install, also the spoilers and the louvers ;-) I let the original steel wheels cleaned and painted, now they have some Cooper Cobra white letters on them. Btw., your car is a well optioned one. A reference car is always very good, without it is sometimes a bit difficult to reassemble - don't ask me how I know... Keep us posted and take care!

Is it that obvious? Hahah no I did not. 
they were in decent shape, and the upholstery guy added some skrim? I think he called it. I probably should of but that’s what I get for trying to save a buck 
LOL, that was going to be my one critique also.  I was thinking either your upholstery guy sucks, or you didn't replace the foam.  I replaced the foam when I did mine several years ago now.  The seats both still look and feel great.  At some point, I think it still might be worth your while to change out the foam.  Also, I haven't checked lately, but when I did mine, nobody was making new foam for the backseat.  I had no choice but to re-use it.  Thankfully the foam was in decent shape, and you can't tell at all.

Otherwise, love the updates.  Great job man!

Did you say money and finish!  With these cars there is always more money to spend on another thing needed so you can finish the car. At least that what I tell my wife.  :whistling:  
Yes I am learning that this car absolutely loves to take my money. I’m hoping for a nice reward when I start it up for the first time and get the tires smoking hahaha! 

my poor wife, she thinks it’s super cool but is like wait how much did that cost? Haha 

don’t worry babe, it’s totally worth it...

LOL, that was going to be my one critique also.  I was thinking either your upholstery guy sucks, or you didn't replace the foam.  I replaced the foam when I did mine several years ago now.  The seats both still look and feel great.  At some point, I think it still might be worth your while to change out the foam.  Also, I haven't checked lately, but when I did mine, nobody was making new foam for the backseat.  I had no choice but to re-use it.  Thankfully the foam was in decent shape, and you can't tell at all.

Otherwise, love the updates.  Great job man!
Yeah I was a little sad when I saw them for the first time. As awesome as they look, I was thinking it’d be a little tighter cuz I didn’t feel like the foam was THAT bad. 

maybe it’s a combo of both? Either way, it’s something I can change out whenever I suppose. The seats unbolt quickly...

im sure after the first road trip my butt will remind me how important it is to have fresh foam haha! 

Back