Would like to buy a correct and working Hi horn with the correct bracket. Would prefer not the repops/universals out there. I know I can have this one rebuilt. Was just hoping someone might have a spare they would be willing to part with. Mine is DOA even with straight 12V and good ground. Thanks!

Chris - BIG RED MACH 1

Born in '73 - Drive a '73

Former U.S. Army 63B10-H8

1st Infantry Division - The Big Red One

Do you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner?  I have revived a number of original horns with one.  Chuck it in with a couple drops of Dawn dish soap for a couple of hours, shake out as much water as you can, let it dry for a day or two and apply voltage.  It's worth a shot.

• Like 1

---

Mike

I was having problems with mine. One sounded absolutely sick and the other one would not work at all. Got tired of trying to find one and the repos don’t look original enough to me. I just finally went ahead and sent them to The Horn Works. Glad I did! They turned out really nice and they work great. They were never as loud as they are now. Wasn’t cheap, but like I said I got so tired of not having working horns that I just had to do something. 
Anyway, I hope you can find one, but if not I just wanted to let you know my experience with getting mine rebuilt.

• Like 1

John - 72 Q Code

If they are already cleaned from the inside: on the backside of the horns there is a screw. It has helped to turn them in and out until it honks healthy on some horns which appeared to be dead before :thumb: 

So I "repaired" every OEM horn like these and it was at no-cost! 

After that I removed the old paint and grime and a few spray paint farts later they appear like new again :classic_smile:

• Like 1

Tim

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony:

I tried the screw and it didn't work. I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner, but I'll try the soaking it for a few days in dawn and see if I get anywhere with that and then running the screw in and out. Thanks for the ideas guys. 

• Fist Bump 1

Chris - BIG RED MACH 1

Did you connect an ohm meter to the terminal on the horn and the ground? You should get around 3 ohms if the coil in the horn is still good.

Edited by Don C
  • Like 1

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

5 hours ago, Don C said:

Did you connect an ohm meter to the terminal on the horn and the ground? You should get around 3 ohms if the coil in the horn is still good.

Great to know Don C! Thanks! 

Chris - BIG RED MACH 1

Yes, that part of the electrical should be good. The contacts are probably dirty or the armature isn't moving.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein