Any Home Theater Owners here?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketFoot

Stangin' ain't easy but somebody gotta do it!
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Just wondering if any 7173 Mustang members have a home theater system or dedicated media/TV room?  With Covid, they seem to have really gained popularity lately!  I am working on a modest room in my basement...nothing too extravagant but it is really cool to watch movies with cinema grade sound! 

I have a 70" LG Ultra HD TV
Klipsch 5.1 speaker system
Denon Surround Receiver
Popcorn machine
Mini Fridge
Movie wall art
ETC...

I'll post some pics as soon as I get the place cleaned up and presentable, LOL!

So what are you guys working with?

I made one around 1999. Started with a projection TV Changed out to a Vizio 60 about 6 years ago. Sound is Denon 7.1 amp, Boston Acoustic speakers, and Carver sub-woofer. I don't use it as much as I should for the dollars spent. There is a wet bar, microwave, and fridge in the next room. Again, I don't use it as much as I should. It was what I wanted at the time. Chuck

That both sounds really great - that is something which is a dream of most big boys here, I think. I don't have such a great amusement room but if I could I would make a visit of both of you and make an objective comparison  :biggrin:  

But, hey Chuck, could you explain, what a "wet bar" is  :classic_ohmy: ?!? Is it what I think it is or is it only my mind which tells me some pictures? 

A wet bar is stocked with alcohol and has sink with a hot and cold water faucet. We probably don't want to know what you thought it was. Get back to work and tell Oliver hello for me. Chuck

I just went down this path.  I have the TV covered, but now need to get the audio figured out.  The room that it is in would be challenging to do wired surround sound in, so that is probably out.  I need to find a decent wireless sound system.  Yesterday I blew a pile of money on blackout window coverings for the room.  For me I have been waiting 11 years to make this room a home theater, and oddly enough I just got the wife approval last weekend!

I dig the popcorn machine idea!

I just went down this path.  I have the TV covered, but now need to get the audio figured out.  The room that it is in would be challenging to do wired surround sound in, so that is probably out.  I need to find a decent wireless sound system.  Yesterday I blew a pile of money on blackout window coverings for the room.  For me I have been waiting 11 years to make this room a home theater, and oddly enough I just got the wife approval last weekend!

Yes!  I am stoked about the popcorn machine!  This is what I got...haven't tried it out yet, but it looks pretty legit!

https://www.amazon.com/Nostalgia-CCP510-Vintage-6-Ounce-Commercial/dp/B000V73JNW/ref=sr_1_2?crid=JC6FYEZLMYH&dchild=1&keywords=nostalgia+popcorn+maker&qid=1614109086&sprefix=nost%2Caps%2C162&sr=8-2

Do you want big front stage audio or maybe something like a sound bar?  If you go sound bar, you can add wireless subs and wireless rear speakers, but sound bars are kinda problematic!  I was going to go with a Klipsch Cinema 600 but there are so many bad reviews and complaints...I decided to go with a standard AVR and speakers. 

The problem with this hobby is that it isn't the fun of watching movies at home...it is the process of building and upgrading the equipment that is addictive!! LOL

I never went overboard. I do have several of the Pioneer laser disc players. In home and garage. These are the discs that did not have the data compressed so they are like the size of an LP.. I have probably 700 movies and also rock concerts. One of my favorites it Pulse by of course Pink Floyd. I make the garage vibrate. Have couple sets of huge speakers 8' off the floor in the garage. My Pioneer surround sound went out in home. My mom use to crank that thing up I came in once and the pictures on the walls were rattling she loved loud music, lol. I bought an overhead projector for the garage and 4X8 foot projection board but never put it up. My TV went out and might not get another. I never owned a TV until I got married. Was always working on the car did not need a TV.

A wet bar is stocked with alcohol and has sink with a hot and cold water faucet. We probably don't want to know what you thought it was. Get back to work and tell Oliver hello for me. Chuck
Thanks for the education! Was not up to date with the term "wet bar"... 

I send the hello to him from you! He is ok now health-wise but had his issues the last years... Greetings back from him! He was very happy to hear from you!  

On weekend we saw each other again since a few weeks and he helped me overhauling the 3rd member of my Mustang. Surprisingly I had a N-Case with a Daytona pinion support (never expected that) but with small bearings and 28 spline - now have a TracLok in  :thumb:

Congrats on getting the traction-lok set up. I'm glad to hear Oliver is doing better. Keep up the good work. Chuck

NOT mine, but my best buddies. He is a Corvette nut, so not a potential member here. 

When he built his house back in the mid 80's, he designed it to have a home theater in the basement. He is/was an engineer and very good with electrical and sound systems. I don't know all the details behind the scenes, but this thig is to die for. Here are the basics; 

12 foot (diagonal) screen he built himself, Hi def. HD projector, speakers galore, most hidden away and seating for 10-12 people. The quality of picture and sound is mind (and ear) blowing. Over the years, it's been upgraded many times and still evolving. Unlike the movie theaters here, he serves beer! Can't beat a movie night at his house.

I've always had a home theater surround sound set up in the living room... not a proper dedicated home theater room, per se.  When I was overseas in Izmir, Turkey, I put together a monster stereo/HT system (like most single enlisted seem to do when overseas, apparently).  My original system:

• Pioneer VSX-7500 (Dolby Surround 5.1)
  • Yamaha 2/4-channel 200 watt amp
  • JVC SEA-70 12-band graphic EQ (the only non-black chassis piece in the rack)
  • Pioneer PD-T505 dual-tray CD player
  • Kenwood KX-W6010 dual cassette deck
  • JVC 4-channel Hi-Fi Super VHS
  • JVC XV-S200BK DVD player
  • JVC 36" i-Art TV (CRT)
  • Infinity SM-150 main speakers
  • Infinity SM-82 secondary speakers
  • Pioneer surround cubes
  • Optimus center-channel

I recently 'upgraded' a few of the components to (mostly because of HDMI video):

• Onkyo HT-R695 Dolby Atmos HT amp w/7.2 speakers
  • Sony 4K/UHD BR/DVD
  • Mitsubishi 60" DLP (2010)
  • TiVo Edge

It's getting close to time for a new TV, and we'll be going up to a 70" 4K/UHD LED TV (probably Visio).  The Onkyo speakers are responsive and crystal clear, but they and the powered sub leave a LOT to be desired over the Infinitys.  I might wind up reconfiguring to place the SM-150s back in the mix as the main speakers, either dump the gain on the powered sub or eliminate it completely (maybe just replace the sub itself with a Kicker Solobaric), and enjoy slab foundation-shattering bass once again.  I also miss having the EQ in the mix, since the pre-programmed sound profiles kind of suck, but that's the trend these days - less adjustability.  There's nothing quite like having a concrete slab foundation shaking in full surround when the afterburners are lit in the early scenes of Top Gun, or when the cannon fire from the 1812 Overture rattle your fillings.  The old system did that with the volume knob perched at 12 (0-30 range), but the Onkyo powered sub clips with anything over 65% gain and the volume (0-100) runs around 76... which is not even close to what the Pioneer was capable of.  Still sounds nice, though... for relative weak sauce.

My wife wants me to get rid of my old 'junk,' which I don't know that I have it in me to just throw it away.  It still works and flat out-cranks the new stuff, even though it's 32+ years old.

Unlike the movie theaters here, he serves beer! Can't beat a movie night at his house.
THAT, and being able to hit 'pause' if potty/snack breaks come around, is exactly why I'd rather wait and watch 'whatever' at home.

THAT, and being able to hit 'pause' if potty/snack breaks come around, is exactly why I'd rather wait and watch 'whatever' at home.
This brings me memories of going to the movies in Netherlands. They have a break in the middle of the movie so you can go do your stuff. They will sell beer in the lobby that you can bring in. I know there are some theaters now that you can order beer and food and they will bring it, but there is no break to unload the beer, which is a problem when the movies are long or when you drink too much. :whistling:

This brings me memories of going to the movies in Netherlands. They have a break in the middle of the movie so you can go do your stuff. They will sell beer in the lobby that you can bring in. I know there are some theaters now that you can order beer and food and they will bring it, but there is no break to unload the beer, which is a problem when the movies are long or when you drink too much. :whistling:
Back when I lived in the UK, 60's early 70's, some of the bigger cinema's sold beer and other refreshments in the lobby between the TWO movies shown at that time. If you needed to pee, you missed some of the movie. Yes, I said TWO movies as well as a news real. Those were the days! Nowadays, I hate going to the cinema, way too loud, only 1 movie PLUS figgin commercials!!! We get enough of that crap rammed down our throats at home.

Back