How to remove broken screw in instrument gauge cluster

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
I was dissassembling the gauge cluster in preperation for cleaning it up and sending the idiot light side off for tach installation.  gauges to the housing were pretty rusted, but most came out without any problem.  One screw snapped off as soon as I started to put a small amount of pressure on it.  The tiny stub just crumbles, so I couldn't get a hold on it with a small set of pliers.  So what is the best way to remove the screw from the plastic housing?  Drill it out?  Warm up the plastic first?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

20210302_173449.jpg

Hate when that happens! You could try a bit of heat on it to expand the plastic. However, it may just be easier to carefully cut it out with something like a Dremel, then rebuild it with something like JB  Weld plastic bonder or similar high strength plastic repair. If it were me, I'd just cut it out a re-weld with the same material. but then I have the equipment to weld plastics. If all else fails, I'm sure you can ask the guys here if anyone has a spare housing for sale at the right price.  Hope that helps. By the way you'll LOVE your tach conversion. Best money I spent on my car.

Thinking further, if you have a Dremel and a 1/8" carbide tip, try working around the broken screw, so you can get a better grip on it, then with a bit of heat, it my just come out. Then fill the hole with JB Weld plastic bonder (wonderful stuff) and re-drill when hardened.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about what Stanglover suggests, but cutting a groove on the part that is sticking out so you can fit a flat blade screw driver. Then with some heat to soften the plastic you can try to unscrew it. You can heat the plastic up with a drier but do not use a lighter or similar to avoid burning it.

PS (EDIT): it is hard to see how much of the screw is sticking out but you may be able to grip it and turn it with vise pliers. Still try to heat the plastic up to help it losen.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about what Stanglover suggests, but cutting a groove on the part that is sticking out so you can fit a flat blade screw driver. Then with some heat to soften the plastic you can try to unscrew it. You can heat the plastic up with a drier but do not use a lighter or similar to avoid burning it.

PS (EDIT): it is hard to see how much of the screw is sticking out but you may be able to grip it and turn it with vise pliers. Still try to heat the plastic up to help it losen.
+1 on cutting a slot in the broken screw and using a small flat blade screw driver. I didn't think of that!! A Dremel with a small cut-off wheel would be ideal. Heat only with a hair dryer or heat gun on low.

Good call Tony.

Yes, Midlife.  I thought of trying an easy out, but its so small, like maybe a course threaded #8.  I've got to get a bit for the dremel, but I think that will be the ticket.  Thanks for the suggestion/question, though.  Would that be a suguestion?  ;-)

Back