73 Q Code Air Cleaner Flexible Air Duct

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7173Vert

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Convertible, 1973 Hardtop
Has anyone restored one of these? Mine is ripped and I either need to repair it or find a replacement. If anyone has a nice one they can part with, PM please and thanks. I'm curious if anyone has tried to fix one and how they went about it....

73 Light Gold Coupe100.jpg

73 Light Gold Coupe99.jpg

Not sure how you will search this, but a year or so back I recall there was an option someone found for a JEEP ! !  Others may chime in with better info but it was almost identical dimensions etc.  

Keep digging.

Hello Ken,

I've never seen one of those repaired other than the time-honored black duct tape for daily drivers.

A few years back, forum member gmadrid had researched and found this duct (Crown Automotive, part # J-3231980) that is a  replacement for some Jeep vehicles.
Ford had released some service flex ducts after receiving feedback from fleet owners who were spending way too much money replacing the plastic duct and flex duct assemblies.    
D3OZ-9A624-B 2 5/16" X 3 11/16" X  11"
D5UZ-9A624-B 2 5/16" X 3 11/16" X 18 1/4"
D7UZ-9A624-A 2 5/16" X 3 11/16" X 25 3/4"
The D3OZ was used mainly for car applications and was discontinued in 1996. The last two numbers are van part numbers (extra length) and were cut to fit. Ford kept those in the parts system a little longer since they were cut to fit and could be made to fit many applications.

You can see that the dimensions are close enough that the 3 1/2 x 2 1/2 hose gmadrid found fit perfectly as he reported.
The original link he used (4wd.com) no longer sells that duct. You can use the Crown Automotive part #J-3231980 number to Google or search sites such as E-Bay or Amazon.com to find the best price and availability.
I did find another Jeep site that listed the J-3231980.  
https://thejeephut.com/air-intake-duct-for-78-86-jeep-cj-5-cj-7-cj-8-w-4-2l-engine-w-o-power-brakes/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Ken,

I've never seen one of those repaired other than the time-honored black duct tape for daily drivers.

A few years back, forum member gmadrid had researched and found this duct (Crown Automotive, part # J-3231980) that is a  replacement for some Jeep vehicles.
Ford had released some service flex ducts after receiving feedback from fleet owners who were spending way too much money replacing the plastic duct and flex duct assemblies.    
The D3OZ was used mainly for car applications and was discontinued in 1996. The last two numbers are van part numbers (extra length) and were cut to fit. Ford kept those in the parts system a little longer since they were cut to fit and could be made to fit many applications.

You can see that the dimensions are close enough that the 3 1/2 x 2 1/2 hose gmadrid found fit perfectly as he reported.
The original link he used (4wd.com) no longer sells that duct. You can use the Crown Automotive part #J-3231980 number to Google or search sites such as E-Bay or Amazon.com to find the best price and availability.
https://thejeephut.com/air-intake-duct-for-78-86-jeep-cj-5-cj-7-cj-8-w-4-2l-engine-w-o-power-brakes/
Thanks Steve! I have never seen people repairing these either, was interested to see if anyone here had tackled. I know most just discarded the piece and the flexible tubing it was attached too. But you know me, keep it original.... Cheers

Hello Ken,

Ken, 

if you don't find a decent one - perhaps Don has one in a decent shape though - I heard good things about the Jeep ones. I searched for my father and his all original 1973 T5 convertible and came also to the conclusions of Steve (who has summed up the relevant informations very very good). You also have to do minor work to get it fit perfect then  :thumb:

I'm not telling...just as soon as I paste in on a Facebook page.

I just googled it and summit has it in stock (the crown part) for 24.95

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cwa-j3231980

Remember last time you posted stuff on facebook ... you had to change your address to a different state
And I am about to move once again.  Damn Witness Protection Program.

Back