73 Q Code Air Cleaner Flexible Air Duct

Has anyone restored one of these? Mine is ripped and I either need to repair it or find a replacement. If anyone has a nice one they can part with, PM please and thanks. I'm curious if anyone has tried to fix one and how they went about it....

73 Light Gold Coupe100.jpg

73 Light Gold Coupe99.jpg

• Like 1

"Yes dear", has kept me in the hobby a long time...

Not sure how you will search this, but a year or so back I recall there was an option someone found for a JEEP ! !  Others may chime in with better info but it was almost identical dimensions etc.  

Keep digging.

• Like 1

Hello Ken,

I've never seen one of those repaired other than the time-honored black duct tape for daily drivers.

A few years back, forum member gmadrid had researched and found this duct (Crown Automotive, part # J-3231980) that is a  replacement for some Jeep vehicles.
Ford had released some service flex ducts after receiving feedback from fleet owners who were spending way too much money replacing the plastic duct and flex duct assemblies.    
D3OZ-9A624-B 2 5/16" X 3 11/16" X  11"
D5UZ-9A624-B 2 5/16" X 3 11/16" X 18 1/4"
D7UZ-9A624-A 2 5/16" X 3 11/16" X 25 3/4"
The D3OZ was used mainly for car applications and was discontinued in 1996. The last two numbers are van part numbers (extra length) and were cut to fit. Ford kept those in the parts system a little longer since they were cut to fit and could be made to fit many applications.

You can see that the dimensions are close enough that the 3 1/2 x 2 1/2 hose gmadrid found fit perfectly as he reported.
The original link he used (4wd.com) no longer sells that duct. You can use the Crown Automotive part #J-3231980 number to Google or search sites such as E-Bay or Amazon.com to find the best price and availability.
I did find another Jeep site that listed the J-3231980.  
https://thejeephut.com/air-intake-duct-for-78-86-jeep-cj-5-cj-7-cj-8-w-4-2l-engine-w-o-power-brakes/

Edited by secluff
  • Like 1

Steve

No Officer...I really don't know how fast I was going, my speedometer stopped at 140!

6 hours ago, secluff said:

Hello Ken,

I've never seen one of those repaired other than the time-honored black duct tape for daily drivers.

A few years back, forum member gmadrid had researched and found this duct (Crown Automotive, part # J-3231980) that is a  replacement for some Jeep vehicles.
Ford had released some service flex ducts after receiving feedback from fleet owners who were spending way too much money replacing the plastic duct and flex duct assemblies.    
The D3OZ was used mainly for car applications and was discontinued in 1996. The last two numbers are van part numbers (extra length) and were cut to fit. Ford kept those in the parts system a little longer since they were cut to fit and could be made to fit many applications.

You can see that the dimensions are close enough that the 3 1/2 x 2 1/2 hose gmadrid found fit perfectly as he reported.
The original link he used (4wd.com) no longer sells that duct. You can use the Crown Automotive part #J-3231980 number to Google or search sites such as E-Bay or Amazon.com to find the best price and availability.
https://thejeephut.com/air-intake-duct-for-78-86-jeep-cj-5-cj-7-cj-8-w-4-2l-engine-w-o-power-brakes/

Thanks Steve! I have never seen people repairing these either, was interested to see if anyone here had tackled. I know most just discarded the piece and the flexible tubing it was attached too. But you know me, keep it original.... Cheers

5 hours ago, OMS said:

Ken I think I have one, I will look for it

Thx. Definitely let me know.

On 3/7/2021 at 7:31 AM, secluff said:

Hello Ken,

Ken, 

if you don't find a decent one - perhaps Don has one in a decent shape though - I heard good things about the Jeep ones. I searched for my father and his all original 1973 T5 convertible and came also to the conclusions of Steve (who has summed up the relevant informations very very good). You also have to do minor work to get it fit perfect then :thumb:

• Like 1

Tim

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony:

On 3/7/2021 at 7:02 AM, OMS said:

Ken I think I have one, I will look for it

If you have two... let me know :thumb:

52 minutes ago, Tnfastbk said:

image.png.5175c5c31280bf88dd975bcb321ff304.png

OHIO MUSTANG SUPPLY            

OVERNIGHT DELIVERY

Hey you were not suppose to share these pics of the beer run / joy rides when we snuck out the test car from the shop that weekend.

20 hours ago, 7173Vert said:

Thx. Definitely let me know.

Ken, found 1 but it is very dirty has a small hole,  I think I have a nice one somewhere will keep looking

P3070001.JPG

P3070002.JPG

Edited by OMS
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, OMS said:

Hey you were not suppose to share these pics of the beer run / joy rides when we snuck out the test car from the shop that weekend.

Someone will never know

10 hours ago, midlife said:

I'm not telling...just as soon as I paste in on a Facebook page.

Sure, I’ll take it. Let me know the price with shipping..

On 3/8/2021 at 9:04 PM, midlife said:

I'm not telling...just as soon as I paste in on a Facebook page.

Remember last time you posted stuff on facebook ... you had to change your address to a different state

• LOL 1

11 hours ago, OMS said:

Remember last time you posted stuff on facebook ... you had to change your address to a different state

And I am about to move once again.  Damn Witness Protection Program.

Let me check your shorts!

http://midlifeharness.com

cactus.jpg.92e5d9d8700abc0ed60c8ccb3426248e.jpg