FMX to Top loader

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
z-bar setups are reproduced now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1971-1972-1973-FORD-MUSTANG-302-351C-BOSS-351-CLUTCH-LINKAGE-Z-BAR-KIT/294010069727

Not a bad price if you consider what it takes to assemble the system piece by piece.  Pedal supports for manual transmissions come up on eBay now and then.  You will need to make sure you get the proper brake pedal for your application - power brake pedals have a different actuator rod placement than manual brakes.  Don't forget the flywheel, throwout bearing and bell housing.

And, while you're at it and if you're lucky enough to find a factory pedal set, replace the old plastic bushing on the clutch pivot shaft with a bearing upgrade. Mustang Steve has the one I used and also Scott Drake has something as well. There will be some fettling required depending on the draft angle on the bracket. Also I strongly suggest go one step further and replace the linkage rod plastic bushings with oil-lite bronze. This will without doubt make the pedal pressure far less and the pain in your left leg as well.  If you want, I can go further into detail as to what I did to improve mine.

There are many suitable clutches out there depending on your power and torque. My choice was the Centerforce II, but in hind-sight, I might have gone with the Centerforce Dual Friction. The CII has been in there ten year now without any issues.

As an alternative, I believe there are aftermarket pedal set ups available and I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a factory pedal set I am willing to sell.  I believe the pin is in the non-power brake position.  Pedal box clutch pedal, brake pedal all in great shape.  Stored in doors so they are not rusty.  asking $300 plus shipping.

kcmash

I have a factory pedal set I am willing to sell.  I believe the pin is in the non-power brake position.  Pedal box clutch pedal, brake pedal all in great shape.  Stored in doors so they are not rusty.  asking $300 plus shipping.

kcmash
 THAT"S a good deal!!

Pin position for power brake is 2" lower. Here's a pic of mine reworked

IMG_0608.1.JPG

I believe Modern Driveline makes a retrofit clutch pedal that mounts to the automatic pedal box. Not sure if it is compatible with the factory z bar or if it is intended for a cable set up. Just another option to explore.

Here is an exploded view so you know what you need. It is way better to get everything at one hit. Drive shaft to crankshaft for sure. I actually bought a T-5 set up our of a 1995 mustang the other day got everything, transmission, new clutch and pressure plate and the bell housing and flywheel for $550.. You have to be careful on the 4 speed lots of variations and some do not work.
I have suggested to others to check the insurance auctions. I bought a couple that way. One was a 72 Mach 1 Q code 4 speed for $820 for the whole car. The other a 1972 H code vert with new top and new stainless exhaust with perfect interior and was straight drive for $1,500. Can't go wrong.

71-72ClutchParts.jpg

Back