She's alive!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
It's been a long time coming but the 408C is singing. Still have to connect the hydraboost, hydraulic clutch, power steering and the rest of the exhaust. Didn't want to run it long without the PS pump not connected. 

Made sure she had good pressure and 60PSI on the fuel. She turned right over with barely touching the key. 

Now to my discredit...I have a couple different hands in this pot to start troubleshooting but I'm sure it's either a single wire not correctly installed and a setting not set correctly or all of the above. 

I set all the Dakota digital settings to BUS. The Dakota BIM module says EFI but it should say sniper. I think I know why that is but I can't get the Holley software to enable the I/O's so I can turn on "racepack" for the CAN bus. I'll talk to Holley about that tomorrow. 

The AFR is pegged at lean but I assure you my watering eyes says she's fat! The TPS isn't responding at all? So there are some issues to iron out but for now I just wanted to make sure the motor fired up and all is well. 

View attachment 20210307_165531.mp4

Very nice and sounds great.  The AFR could be an issue of where it is located with your open headers.  To test it with out the engine running take the sensor out of the exhaust and wrap it in a rag saturated with starting fluid or carb cleaner. Turn the key to the on position and see if you get a rich reading.  If so  then remove the rag and it should go to full lean.  If it passes then your open exhaust is causing the issue for now.  

Last edited by a moderator:
The AFR could be an issue of where it is located with your open headers.  
+1 

My Innovative wideband manual specifically states that the O2 sensors will return a false reading if they are too close to the open end of the pipes/header. IIRC, they recommend a minimum of 18" of pipe after the sensor. If that's the case in your car, the Sniper is plowing fuel into the engine to try to correct what it thinks is a the lean condition. Personally, I wouldn't run it any more until you've researched it and tested your sensors. 

FWIW, if you haven't done the cam break-in process, do that before you wipe a lobe. Some roller cams require a certain break in as well. 

+1 

My Innovative wideband manual specifically states that the O2 sensors will return a false reading if they are too close to the open end of the pipes/header. IIRC, they recommend a minimum of 18" of pipe after the sensor. If that's the case in your car, the Sniper is plowing fuel into the engine to try to correct what it thinks is a the lean condition. Personally, I wouldn't run it any more until you've researched it and tested your sensors. 

FWIW, if you haven't done the cam break-in process, do that before you wipe a lobe. Some roller cams require a certain break in as well. 
Agreed. I don't plan to until I can extend that exhaust pipe. I wasn't aware of a break in with hydraulic rollers? What's the process?

Depends upon what your cam & lifter mfr wants. Morel Black Mamba lifters require a process similar to a flat tappet cam, 1800-2200 rpms for about a half hour. Not sure what others require, best to consult your documentation. 

I cant help you with your problem, but i absolutely LOVE the way the engine looks !!!!

Back