That thing sounds bad bad bad!!!  And I say that in the best way possible. Lol.  Great job! 

• Like 1

Kevin
1971 Mach 1

408C Stroker - C4 w/3,000 stall - 8.8" Rear w/3.73's - Disc brakes all way around.

Very nice and sounds great.  The AFR could be an issue of where it is located with your open headers.  To test it with out the engine running take the sensor out of the exhaust and wrap it in a rag saturated with starting fluid or carb cleaner. Turn the key to the on position and see if you get a rich reading.  If so  then remove the rag and it should go to full lean.  If it passes then your open exhaust is causing the issue for now.  

Edited by Kilgon
  • Like 1

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

14 hours ago, Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs said:

Sounds bad for sure but do not idle it too much and eat the cam and lifters. Got to keep the rpm up to save them.

Understood. I still have brought her up to temp yet.

www.puregemdetailing.com

On 3/7/2021 at 11:30 PM, Kilgon said:

The AFR could be an issue of where it is located with your open headers.  

+1 

My Innovative wideband manual specifically states that the O2 sensors will return a false reading if they are too close to the open end of the pipes/header. IIRC, they recommend a minimum of 18" of pipe after the sensor. If that's the case in your car, the Sniper is plowing fuel into the engine to try to correct what it thinks is a the lean condition. Personally, I wouldn't run it any more until you've researched it and tested your sensors. 

FWIW, if you haven't done the cam break-in process, do that before you wipe a lobe. Some roller cams require a certain break in as well. 

1 hour ago, Hemikiller said:

+1 

My Innovative wideband manual specifically states that the O2 sensors will return a false reading if they are too close to the open end of the pipes/header. IIRC, they recommend a minimum of 18" of pipe after the sensor. If that's the case in your car, the Sniper is plowing fuel into the engine to try to correct what it thinks is a the lean condition. Personally, I wouldn't run it any more until you've researched it and tested your sensors. 

FWIW, if you haven't done the cam break-in process, do that before you wipe a lobe. Some roller cams require a certain break in as well. 

Agreed. I don't plan to until I can extend that exhaust pipe. I wasn't aware of a break in with hydraulic rollers? What's the process?

www.puregemdetailing.com

Depends upon what your cam & lifter mfr wants. Morel Black Mamba lifters require a process similar to a flat tappet cam, 1800-2200 rpms for about a half hour. Not sure what others require, best to consult your documentation. 

On 3/13/2021 at 3:05 PM, A.Nilsson said:

I cant help you with your problem, but i absolutely LOVE the way the engine looks !!!!

Thanks! Haven't had a chance to get back to it yet. I believe it's much to do with the exhaust as others have stated. 

www.puregemdetailing.com