Can you help Identify this trim piece

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machattack

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang mach 1 351c 4v auto fmx
1968 mustang gt 302 4v 4 speed
Hi folks,

I picked up a front valance from a guy today and it had aluminum trim pieces on each end. Ive never seen these on a mach1 ? or advertised in parts catalogs.

He said the part came off a 71 mach 1. Can you guys clarify what these actually came on?  Pics attachedvalance trim 1.jpg

valance trim 2.jpg

That molding was used on '71-72 Mach 1s with the  standard lower accent color and models with the optional decor group. It was used between the valence and the fender and was held in place by the hardware that bolted the fender and valence together. A similar molding was used on the '73 but differed slightly because of front end changes required with the federally mandated 5 MPH crash bumper.

16c068.png

Thanks Guru :)

So is it just the piece up front? or did it also run down the door and to the back of the stang?

Rod

There were ten pieces of molding used on the Mach1 and decor group. The valance , fender front and rear, door, and qtr panel front and rear. The molding was deleted and replaced with a pin stripe when the production installed side stripe (Boss 351 style-Hockey stick) was ordered. My illustration shows what you are typically going to find when when searching for Mach1 photos which is the molding and the  stripe both on the car. That in its self is fine,  they just didn't leave  the production line like that. :classic_smile:

Thanks for explanation! 

Well......... anybody out there needing the 2 fronts? :)   

Great explanation Steve.

My car came from the factory with the moldings and no side stripes. However, a PO had added them along with the hood black-out. As I feel the Mach 1 ought to have these as standard decor, I kept them when the car was repainted. Actually, it would have been a total PITA to weld in all those clip holes. Also, should I ever sell the car to purist, the stripes can easily be removed. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

IMG_0079 (2).JPG

I have couple cars with Decor group one a 73 and one a 72 convertible. You got the black out on the bottom or Argent. Also you got a Mach 1 grill if you ordered on your vert. Here is my 73. They trim is quite expensive and you can see they moved the trim on the 73 out of the space between the valance and fender.
On the Mach 1 I do not think you got the trim if you had side stripe only if you just got the fender badge?? The 72 Mach 1 T-5 I have does not have the trim but has the argent with tape.
The trim is held on with the Tee studs and a stud through the panel on each end. The do reproduce it but sell out fast when they make a run. If you had the roll form equipment super easy to make.
The only pieces that are different between models and years are the front fender pieces. 71 - 72 same and 73 different.

DSC_1058.JPG

DSC_1278.JPG

Back